womens basketball preview.jpg

The Lobos bench frustrated over a referee’s call at The Pit on February, 28, 2024.

UNM women’s basketball team prepares for the season

The University of New Mexico women’s basketball team is preparing for the 2024-25 season.

The team will tip the season off against Northern Arizona University at The Pit on Nov. 4. Before then, they will play New Mexico Highlands University on Oct. 20 and Western Colorado University on Oct. 26 in exhibition games.

The Lobos are trying to climb their way to a Mountain West Championship this season after falling short last season — defeated by San Diego State University in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West tournament.

The women's basketball team has made significant changes over the offseason to foster another winning season.

Transfers

Lydie Mwamba is from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and transferred from Trinity Valley Community College to UNM. At TVCC, Mwamba was named NJCAA Second Team All-American and Second Team All-Conference.

In Mwamba’s 2023-24 sophomore season, she started in all 33 games, averaged 16.9 points per game, shot 47.9% and improved her rebounding to 6.8 boards per game from 2.2 her freshman season, according to Go Lobos, making her a significant threat on the court this season.

The Lobos also acquired Joana Magalhães, a guard from Lisbon, Portugal. Magalhães has yet to shine on the court collegiately, entering The Pit as a freshman. Before transferring to UNM, Magalhães played for CRC Quinta Dos Lombos where her team won the national championship in 2023-24, according to Go Lobos.

The guards join Destinee Hooks, Clarissa Craig and Amhyia Moreland as offseason  additions for UNM.

Losses

After the women’s basketball team came off a quarterfinal loss to San Diego State University in the Mountain West tournament, the Lobos lost some key pieces including Paula Reus and Nyah Wilson, who both entered the NCAA Transfer Portal. The Lobos also said goodbye to Nahawa Diarra Berthe, Natalia Chavez, Mackenzie Curtis, Jaelyn Bates, Hannah Robbins and Aniyah Augmon.

Therefore, recruitment was top priority over the offseason. The most painful losses were Wilson and Augmon.

Wilson averaged 15 points in her final season with the Lobos and had amazing chemistry on the court with Augmon. Augmon averaged 13 points per game and her impact was felt everywhere when she was on the court. Augmon decided to forego her senior season to pursue passions beyond basketball.

First four Mountain West matchups

The first conference matchup of the season will be against the Air Force Academy in the Cadet Field House on Dec. 29. The last time the Lobos faced the Falcons was Jan. 27 when the Lobos won by 15 points, leaving the arena with a score of 66-51.

The next conference game is Jan. 1 against the University of Nevada at The Pit. The Lobos barely scraped by during their last meeting, managing to leave Reno with a win by 10; the final score read 69-59. The Wolfpack will continue to be a tough adversary this season, hoping to claw its way to victory and dethrone the Lobos at home.

Three days afterward, the team will travel to California and face their rivals at San Diego State University after a loss in the quarterfinals last season.

The last time the Aztecs faced the Lobos, it was an ugly game. The Lobos left The Pit with their tail between their legs as the Aztecs won and the scoreboard bled 67-56. The Lobos will reignite their revenge on Jan. 4, 2025.

On Jan. 18, 2025, the Lobos will roam into the jagged Rocky Mountains to play Colorado State University. Last season, the Lobos played an excellent game, leaving The Pit with a deserved win against CSU. The final score was 62-46.

Overview

The Lobos will face a challenging schedule and tough opponents this upcoming season. While the team lost pieces, it will look to maintain its winning ways with an almost completely new roster.

Izabella Kubiak-Reseigh is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobocom or on X @kubiakizabella