basketball preview

Lobo guard Donovan Dent looks to run the Lobos' offense against the San Diego State Aztecs at The Pit on Feb. 25, 2023.

UNM men’s basketball team prepares for the season

The University of New Mexico men’s basketball team is gearing up for the 2024-25 season, looking to build on a successful previous year in which it claimed the title as Mountain West champion and made an NCAA tournament appearance.

The Lobos have bolstered their roster over the off-season with potential key additions, including highly-touted recruits and experienced transfers.

Transfers

One of UNM's biggest acquisitions is shooting guard CJ Noland, who transferred from the University of North Texas this year. Last year, Noland averaged 10.9 points per game while shooting 43.7% from the field, according to On3. Nolan will enter his senior season.

Losses

Over the off-season, the Lobos lost key players and had to adjust their roster. One of the players lost was fan-favorite guard Jaelen House, who helped bring the Mountain West title home last season. House saw his career high as a Lobo in the 2022-23 season, averaging 16.9 points per game with 4.7 assists per game, according to Go Lobos. This will be a difficult position to fill for the Lobos.

Another player lost was point and shooting guard Jamal Mashburn, who entered the transfer portal for his final year of eligibility. This was a significant loss for the Lobos, as Mashburn was a huge threat on the court. Mashburn’s offensive production averaged 14.1 points per game and 1.5 assists per game in the 2023-24 season, according to ESPN.

First four Mountain West matchups

Being the Mountain West defending champions, expectations for the Lobos are high and rivals are hungry for revenge. The first conference matchup is against San José State University at The Pit on Dec. 4. The last time the Lobos faced the Spartans was Jan. 24, when the Lobos won by a staggering 20 points, leaving the arena with a score of 95-75.

The next conference game is Dec. 28 against Colorado State University. The Lobos knocked the Rams out of the Mountain West tournament last season — putting up 74-61 against CSU — and they hope to keep the same momentum going into the new season. The Lobos will play CSU in Fort Collins, Colorado, attempting to escape the rugged Rocky Mountains with a win.

Three days afterward, the team will travel to Fresno State University to try to steal a win before the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Eve. The last time the Fresno State Bulldogs faced UNM, the Lobos tore them apart, ending the game 79-58 in March. The Lobos will trek into Fresno territory to defend their win this winter.

On Jan. 3, the Lobos will host the University of Nevada at The Pit, where the Nevada Wolf Pack will defend itself against the Lobos. Last season, the Lobos fought a nasty game, leaving the arena after winning by 1 in Reno. The final score was 83-82, which is an almost unheard-of college basketball score and a little too close for comfort in Albuquerque.

Overview

As the season approaches, the team is focused on developing a fast-paced style of play — emphasizing defensive pressure and quick transitions. Improved perimeter shooting will also be a priority, as the coaching staff encourages players to expand their offensive repertoire.

The Lobos will face a challenging schedule — including non-conference games against regional rivals — before diving into Mountain West competition. The team will look to navigate the ups and downs of a long season while staying healthy and maintaining consistency.

With fan engagement on the rise, The Pit is expected to be packed with supporters who are eager to cheer on the Lobos. Promotional events and community activities are planned to foster a strong home-court advantage.

The stage is set for an exciting season ahead in Albuquerque on Nov. 4 against Nicholls State University at The Pit.

Izabella Kubiak-Reseigh is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobocom or on X @kubiakizabella