Guardian caps.jpg

A UNM football helmet sits on the sidelines during the game against Air Force Academy on Saturday, Oct. 12.

UNM football players reflect on potential of Guardian caps

Amid increased scrutiny over player safety, particularly concerning concussions and long-term brain health, Lobo football players weighed the potential introduction of Guardian caps at the University of New Mexico.

As the sport of football evolves, so does the equipment used to protect its athletes. One innovation gaining traction is the Guardian cap, a soft-shell helmet cover designed to reduce impact during practices and games. The NFL announced at the beginning of this season that Guardian caps can be used in games.

The Guardian cap has been shown to absorb impact and lessen the severity of collisions, which are prevalent in football. Youth can experience up to a 33% reduction in impact with the caps, and they reduce significant injury in the NFL for linemen, tight ends and linebackers by 52%, according to University Hospitals.

Some football players at UNM have had experience using Guardian caps with other programs.

Running back NaQuari Rogers wore the caps to prevent injuries at Campbell University in North Carolina before he transferred to UNM. He said that the Guardian caps wouldn’t be a bad thing to have now, given his position.

“As far as my position … we see contact dang near every play,” Rogers said. “When we run the ball — or we’re blocking, or catching or whatever — I would prefer it.”

As a running back, Rogers is at risk of being tackled almost every play. Brown University attributes the hardest hits in games to running backs and the highest frequency of hits per game to linemen.

Another football player on UNM’s roster is Okiki Olorunfunmi, who plays outside linebacker and defensive end for the Lobos. Olorunfunmi thinks the caps are beneficial, but says they might not be gaining traction because of their look.

“I think wearing a Guardian cap is cool … they’re not the best eye candy to look at, but they definitely do their job,” Olorunfunmi said. “I think if they can find a way to make it more stylish or more attractive to go with game jerseys, more athletes would opt in to wear it.”

Malik Aliane is a center for the UNM football team. Although he hasn’t worn a Guardian cap before, he said he is open to donning one on game day.

“That’s something that’s really important, especially for a lineman,” Aliane said. “(The equipment staff) do a great job at making sure we have the best equipment for our safety on the field.”

Aliane thinks UNM might eventually acquire Guardian caps, he said, and they might help student athletes pursue long careers after college by minimizing contact-related head traumas.

“Honestly, I think they look silly. But at the end of the day, a lot of us want to have long careers, and I think it’s something that is very important for the long term,” Aliane said.

Izabella Kubiak-Reseigh is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at sports@dailylobocom or on X @kubiakizabella