Nella-1.jpeg

Nella Domenici, the Republican candidate running for the U.S. Senate in New Mexico against Democratic Sen. Martin Heinrich. Photo courtesy of Enrique C. Knell.

United States Senate: Nella Domenici

Nella Domenici (R) is running against incumbent Sen. Martin Heinrich to represent New Mexico in the United States Senate. Born in Albuquerque, Domenici is the daughter of former New Mexico Sen. Pete Domenici. She served as chief financial officer for Bridgewater Associates — the world’s largest hedge fund, according to Forbes.

Here’s where she stands on key issues.

Education

On her campaign website, Domenici describes education as “the social justice issue of our time, and the biggest issue facing our state.”

Domenici and others founded Excellent Schools New Mexico — a nonprofit that provides grants to New Mexico’s best schools and educators, according to the organization’s website.

If elected, Domenici wants to have student advisors from the University of New Mexico to provide input on campus issues that may require federal legislation, she wrote in an email to the Daily Lobo.

Domenici also wants to make vocational classes available in high schools, according to her website.

Crime

To tackle crime, particularly on the UNM campus, Domenici wrote that she wants to secure the border, address the mental health crisis, slow the influx of fentanyl and monitor compliance with the Clery Act — a federal university crime transparency law.

“Until the border is secure and crime is under control, parents will fear for their children’s safety at UNM,” Domenici wrote.

If elected, Domenici wrote that she would also work with University leaders to address crime on campus.

“I will use my problem-solving skills to ensure the safety of all Lobos,” Domenici wrote.

Domenici would support law enforcement and measures to promote rehabilitation and reduce recidivism rates, according to her website.

Gun policy

Domenici opposes gun bans and will oppose “unconstitutional” federal legislation that violates the Second Amendment, she wrote.

“Our efforts to stop violence should be focused on gangs and cartels in cities where most homicides occur,” Domenici wrote. “In addition to enforcement, we can mitigate the underlying causes of violence by reducing drug addiction and improving our education system and job opportunities.”

Domenici wrote that she supports intervention for at-risk youth before violence occurs, and evidence-based strategies that help stop the escalation of conflicts before they lead to violence.

Guns are used in about half of all suicide deaths, according to Domenici. If elected, she will prioritize solutions to address the mental health crisis, she wrote.

“I understand that gun ownership is not the problem,” Domenici wrote.

Economy and jobs

Energy costs are a large cause of inflation, according to Domenici. She is focused on bringing down energy costs for average New Mexicans, according to her website.

“For a better economy, I will use my business background to create more jobs, foster business growth, cut bureaucratic regulations and stop reckless spending and adhere to reasonable federal budgets,” Domenici wrote. “This will set the stage for greater economic growth.”

Domenici plans to reduce federal spending and pursue sound fiscal and tax policies, she wrote.

Environment and energy

Domenici wrote that she supports a sensible, orderly and achievable transition to renewable energy. She wrote that her approach will guarantee a strong economy and ensure New Mexico becomes a leader in all types of energy.

“I will support an all-of-the-above approach to energy,” Domenici wrote. “Ultimately, I am focused on bringing down the cost of energy for the average New Mexican, including heating and cooling homes and reducing the cost of filling your car at the gas station.”

Domenici seeks “energy independence” through maintaining New Mexico’s oil and gas industry, she wrote.

Abortion

Domenici plans to reduce abortions by reducing unintended pregnancies with better use of birth control and education, according to her website.

“I believe abortion should be safe, legal and most importantly, rare,” Domenici wrote. “I oppose any federal abortion ban. The Supreme Court ruled that the states have the authority to determine abortion policy. New Mexico has decided this issue, and I will abide by the state’s decision.”

Border and immigration

Domenici supports comprehensive immigration reform and legislation that secures the border, she wrote.

She supports erecting physical barriers along the border and increased funding to Border Patrol, according to her website.

She also wrote that she believes the U.S. should install screening technology for vehicles that pass through border crossings, end “catch and release,” tighten the asylum process, deport “criminals and terrorists” and reinstate “remain in Mexico.”

In 2019, former President Donald Trump implemented the “remain in Mexico” program — officially named the Migrant Protection Protocols program. It forced people seeking asylum to stay in Mexico as they waited to present their cases in U.S. courts, according to Reuters. In 2022, the Supreme Court ruled that President Joe Biden could stop the measure after lawsuits prevented him from ending it earlier, Reuters reported.

War in Gaza and surrounding regions

Domenici is “on the side of” Israel, according to her website.

“The atrocities against Israeli women and children and the ensuing war have shattered any credible possibility of a two-state solution,” Domenici’s website reads.

In regard to political activity on the UNM campus, free speech, the right to peacefully protest and student safety are important rights and priorities, Dominici wrote.

“As a senator, I would certainly pay close attention to these issues and my door would always be open to members of the college community,” Domenici wrote. “I want to be well-informed, and will be ready to consider federal legislation when the situation warrants it.”

Lily Alexander is the editor-in-chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on X @llilyalexander

Nate Bernard is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on X @natebernard14

Lily Alexander

Lily Alexander is the 2024-2025 Editor of the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @llilyalexander