students react.JPG

ASUNM members Kiera Rosenfeld (Lobo Spirt assistant director), Mutazz Jaber (vice president), Hope Montoya (president pro tempore of the senate) and Josiah Ward (steering and rules senator), left to right, at the UNM football game against NMSU in Las Cruces on Saturday, Sept. 28.

Students react to Rio Grande Rivalry win

For the first time since 2021, the University of New Mexico football team beat New Mexico State University in the match known as the “Rio Grande Rivalry.”

UNM and NMSU have been football rivals since 1894, according to Source NM. On Sept. 28, the Lobos beat the Aggies 50-40 at NMSU’s home field.

Entering the game with no wins this year, the Lobos were favored to win. Despite this, people had their doubts.

Days after the game, UNM students around campus shared their thoughts on the win with the Daily Lobo. 

Freshman Aylin Chavez said the win did not surprise her because she had looked into the records of both teams.

“Honestly, the records on both sides weren't too different, so I thought we had a really good, fair shot,” Chavez said.

On the other hand, Jarett Casalduc, also a freshman, said the result of the game came as a shock to him.

“I just heard from everyone — like even my friends and family — they're like, ‘Oh, the Lobos are bad,’” Casalduc said. “So I was like, ‘They're probably going to lose to the Aggies.’”

For both Casalduc and Chavez, it was their first time participating in the pregame traditions.

“I thought Red Rally was a lot of fun, too. I got to hang out with my friends, listen to the music and watch the Aggie burn,” Chavez said.

Senior Isaiah Sillemon is a tight end for the UNM football team. Beating the Aggies this year was personal, he said, because his first career start was a loss against NMSU.

“A lot of coaches felt like I played my best game of the year, which I felt like, too. And it really felt good,” Sillemon said.

When it comes to the reputation that the Lobos developed after losing several games in the past few seasons, Sillemon said the team is going to remain positive. Not everyone can play football, he said.

“Not everybody's built for it. So if they're gonna laugh, they're gonna laugh,” Sillemon said. “We're the ones putting in the work, regardless of the outcome.”

Paloma Chapa is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @paloma_chapa88

Paloma Chapa