Officers on leave after fatally shooting a man in handcuffs

Family remembers Matthew ‘Solo’ Garcia

On Oct. 18, an Albuquerque Police Department officer fatally shot 39-year-old Matthew “Solo” Garcia while he was handcuffed in the back of a police car outside the Tewa Lodge, according to body camera footage shared by the Albuquerque Journal.

Garcia’s father, Fred Garcia, told the Daily Lobo that he spoke with his son the day before the incident.

“I got to tell him I love him one last time, but I wish it would have never been just one more time,” he said. “I would have given anything for it to be forever.”

According to a video posted to X by APD, officers were “assisting a code enforcement,” during which several people were detained at the Tewa Lodge. The code enforcement was in reference to complaints by business owners and community members about drug use, according to the video.

In a statement to the Daily Lobo, APD Director of Communications Gilbert Gallegos wrote that Matthew Garcia initially hid his identity from police. He had a conviction and arrest warrants, Gallegos wrote.

“When officers determined his identity and attempted to prepare him for transport to jail, it was discovered he had a firearm in his hands,” ​​the statement reads. “As officers tried to wrestle the gun from the man’s hands, officers fired shots.”

The incident is currently under investigation, Gallegos wrote.

“APD’s Internal Affairs Force Division will investigate and analyze the incident to determine whether policies were followed,” the statement reads.

Later on Oct. 18, protesters gathered on Central Avenue near the Tewa Lodge. One side of the street was blocked off with a line of police tape, which protesters gathered behind.

At 7 p.m., APD ordered the crowd to vacate the area.

Two protesters were arrested during an escalation with police, according to a video posted to the UNM Palestine Solidarity Encampment Instagram account. Officers grabbed and pushed protesters before making arrests. It is unclear from the video how the escalation started.

During a press conference, Albuquerque Police Chief Harold Medina said one protester was arrested for removing police tape. The other person was arrested for putting their hands on an officer, he said. The two protesters have since been released.

On Oct. 19, community members held a candlelight vigil outside the Tewa Lodge to mourn Matthew Garcia. His parents, wife and 9- and 12-year-old children attended the vigil.

The next day, community organizers held a rally and march outside of the Albuquerque Police Station headquarters. They demanded that APD release the body camera footage of the officer who shot Matthew Garcia. They also requested that the officers who were involved in the shooting be fired, according to a UNM Solidarity Encampment Instagram post.

Following the rally, Matthew Garcia’s family marched with community members through Downtown Albuquerque.

“Justice for Solo Garcia,” they chanted. “Say his name: Solo Garcia.”

Matthew Garcia’s 9-year-old daughter, Azul Diamond Garcia, spoke to the crowd about her father after the march.

“I really, really miss him,” Azul Diamond Garcia said. “All I remember of him is him on the sidewalk with a blanket over him.”

During an Albuquerque City Council meeting on Oct. 21, councilors questioned Medina about the incident. Councilor Louie Sanchez questioned the quality of APD officer training. He has been a police officer around Albuquerque for nearly three decades, he said.

”Never have I seen, in my 29 years, an officer have to shoot someone in handcuffs,” Sanchez said.

At the meeting, Medina said that both of the officers involved in the shooting are on administrative leave and they will not return to work until they are cleared by a mental health professional.

District 6 City Councilor Nichole Rogers, who spoke during the meeting and with Matthew Garcia’s family during the Oct. 20 rally, shared a statement with the Daily Lobo.

“My heart goes out to the family and I (am) committed to making sure Matthew ‘Solo’ Garcia’s family get the answers they are asking for and the resources they need,” the statement reads.

Fred Garcia said Matthew Garcia took care of people.

“He would take his shirt off his back for people,” Fred Garcia said. ”He'd do anything for anybody. And that's what I loved about my son.”

Leila Chapa is the social media editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at socialmedia@dailylobo.com or on X @lchapa06

Paloma Chapa is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on X @paloma_chapa88

Paloma Chapa

Paloma Chapa is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @paloma_chapa88