Gabe Vasquez.jpg

Rep. Gabe Vasquez, the Democratic candidate running for Congressional District 2 against Republican candidate Yvette Herrell. Photo courtesy of Gabe Vasquez

New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional District: Gabe Vasquez

Incumbent Rep. Gabe Vasquez (D) is running for reelection against former Rep. Yvette Herrell for New Mexico’s 2nd Congressional District — which encompasses most of southern New Mexico, including the United States-Mexico border. Vasquez is a former Las Cruces city councilor.

Vasquez is running for his second term in Congress this year after defeating former congresswoman Yvette Herrell by just over 1,200 votes during the 2022 midterm election, according to Source NM.

The Vasquez campaign initially responded to an interview request from the Daily Lobo but did not answer questions in time for publication. Here’s where he stands on key issues.

Education

On Sept. 6, Vasquez announced the introduction of the Veteran Education Assistance Adjustment Act. The bill would “increase the books and supplies stipend for veterans pursuing higher education,” according to a press release.

Vasquez also secured $4.5 million in Head Start investments for Las Cruces Public Schools, according to the press release.

Crime

Vasquez is a cosponsor of the Auto Theft Prevention Act — a bill that would award grants to state and local law enforcement agencies to combat auto theft and stolen vehicle trafficking.

Vasquez’s campaign is advocating for police reform and increased accountability for police misconduct, according to his campaign website.

“As a member of the Las Cruces City Council, Gabe repeatedly voted to increase the budget for our police department, creating dozens of new law enforcement positions,” the website reads.

Gun policy

On July 12, Vasquez posted to X that he was officially a Moms Demand Action “Gun Sense Candidate.” Moms Demand Action is an American nonprofit organization focused on preventing gun violence through increased regulations on guns, according to its website.

Vasquez cosponsored gun violence prevention bills, including the Bipartisan Background Checks Act — which would establish new background check requirements for firearm transfers — and the Assault Weapons Ban — which would ban the manufacture, sale and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons, according to his website.

“As a proud hunter and responsible gun owner, I understand that we need common-sense gun safety laws to ensure the safety of our families, while protecting the Second Amendment,” the post on X reads.

Economy and jobs

Vasquez’s campaign website states that he will prioritize workers and small businesses, and he will ensure that large corporations are “paying their fair share.”

According to his website, Vasquez supports raising the minimum wage to $15 per hour and ​​passing the Protecting the Right to Organize Act, which would “expand various labor protections related to employees' rights to organize and collectively bargain in the workplace,” according to the bill.

“Gabe also understands that New Mexicans are struggling to pay their bills because of rising prices, and that’s why he’ll support policies that cut taxes on working families while lowering the cost of healthcare, childcare and utilities,” Vasquez’s website reads.

Environment and energy

According to Vasquez’s campaign website, water scarcity will be one of the toughest issues to solve in New Mexico, but he is “up for the challenge.”

Vasquez will “work to encourage a transition to clean energy like wind and solar so that we can not only dramatically reduce the pollution that is disrupting our climate and making our families sick, but also create thousands of good-paying jobs right here in Southern New Mexico,” the website reads.

In March 2023, Vasquez introduced the M.H. Dutch Salmon Greater Gila Wild and Scenic River Act. If the bill passed, it would designate segments of the Gila River as part of the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System and would help with recovery of endangered fish species, including the Gila trout.

Abortion

In a campaign ad posted to Facebook, Vasquez said he will “always protect a woman’s right to choose.”

On Sept. 5, Vasquez spoke at the launch of the University of New Mexico Center for Reproductive Health in Las Cruces, according to a press release.

That same day, a video was posted to Vasquez's Instagram page.

“We can all agree that this is not the place for government interference,” Vasquez told the crowd in the video. “Abortion is healthcare.”

Vasquez will “keep fighting” to codify Roe v. Wade in Congress, according to the press release.

Border and immigration

According to his website, Vasquez introduced a package of “common-sense” bills that address immigration at the U.S.-Mexico border.

According to the package documents, the bills would support a pathway to citizenship for critical workers, greater prison sentences to anyone involved with human trafficking of a minor, the hiring of more border personnel, and holding immigrant detention centers accountable for poor living conditions.

War in Gaza and surrounding regions

On May 8, Vasquez called for a ceasefire in Gaza in a post on X.

“Pausing arms shipments to Israel ensures the safety of innocent civilians in Gaza. I have proudly called for a ceasefire and will continue to advocate for peace in this conflict. Enough is enough,” the post reads.

In a press release on Oct. 16, 2023, Vasquez condemned the violence in Israel and Gaza.

“The United States and the Administration must remain committed to upholding international laws and standards of war,” the statement reads. “Just as we are committed to protecting innocent lives in Israel, we must protect innocent Palestinian lives in Gaza and worldwide.”

Paloma Chapa is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on X @paloma_chapa88

Paloma Chapa

Paloma Chapa is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @paloma_chapa88