‘Cuddle a Canine’ returns to Zimmerman Library

Students may have noticed there were a few more furry faces on Smith Plaza last week.

On Thursday, Oct. 24, Zimmerman Library’s “Cuddle a Canine” event returned for the fall semester, bringing therapy dogs from the Southwest Canine Corps of Volunteers to help students at the University of New Mexico relieve stress.

Held twice a year during the fall and spring semester midterms, “Cuddle a Canine” is Zimmerman Library’s way to help ease some of the tension around the UNM community that can build up at this point in the semester, according to Tomás González, one of the event coordinators.

“We missed a couple of years due to COVID restrictions but are glad to be able to continue the tradition of holding this event,” González wrote.

González and Lucia Pierce took over coordinating duties for “Cuddle a Canine” during the 2022 spring semester.

González added that there are usually up to 15 volunteers each time, with a few volunteers and their pups returning for the event for multiple years.

The mission of the Southwest Canine Corps of Volunteers, which began in 1989, is to bring happiness and comfort to everyone they can, according to Educational Outreach Director Sherry Mangold. The Southwest Canine Corps of Volunteers visits a variety of people in need of a cuddle with a cute pup, including hospitals, schools and rehabilitation and nursing home facilities.

“We’re amazed by how many students are from out-of-state and missing their families and pets at home,” Mangold said. “We see so many smiles every time we visit UNM, and it's beautiful to see the joy on people’s faces when they’re with the dogs.”

Research has shown that even short-term interactions with animals such as therapy dogs can have a significant impact on levels of stress and anxiety, according to the National Library of Medicine.

“Don’t be shy,” González wrote. “I’ve noticed from previous events that people are wanting to come up and interact with the group but are unsure if they are able to. The handlers are always willing to share information, plus the therapy dogs are super friendly and love the attention.”

Elias Strong, a freshman, stopped by the event with his roommates and wrote that he loved the vibe.

“Overall, I had a good time,” Elias wrote. “It felt nice to do something not school-related for the first time in a while. I liked being able to sit down and just relax for a bit, and it did help me feel a little better about things.”

Maria Fernandez is a freelance reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on X @dailylobo