Bond 1.jpg

The Palo Duro Senior Center in Albuquerque on Wednesday, Oct. 16. The Senior Citizens Facilities Bond on the New Mexico ballot will issue $30.75 million to upgrade facilities for senior citizens if it passes.

Bond question one: Senior Citizens Facilities

General Obligation bonds appear on New Mexico ballots every two years, according to the University of New Mexico, and there are no tax increases associated with them. GO bonds are public debts that are paid through statewide property taxes, according to Ballotpedia.

The Senior Citizens Facilities Bond Issue on the New Mexico ballot will issue $30.75 million to upgrade facilities for senior citizens if it passes.

Funds would go to the New Mexico Aging & Long-Term Services Department to upgrade senior citizen facilities across the state. Upgrades would include meals, building renovations, equipment installation and transportation services, according to House Bill 308.

Funds would also go toward equipment acquisition projects, according to the bill.

The bill lists 98 projects at senior centers that would receive funding across New Mexico, including within pueblos and the Navajo Nation.

Keith Wilkins, a research scientist at the University of New Mexico Center for Applied Research and Analysis, has focused his research work on aging and long-term services, including needs assessments of older adults.

Wilkins said most of the improvements listed in the bond are for physical renovations.

Wilkins values the improvements to senior citizen facilities, he said, and technology can be taught within them. Wilkins has found through his research that many older adults care about learning to use present-day technology.

“A lot of older adults fall behind in technology,” Wilkins said. “Having people to teach them how to use smartphones or computers can get overlooked.”

Leila Chapa is the social media editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at socialmedia@dailylobo.com or on X @lchapa06

Paloma Chapa is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on X @paloma_chapa88

Shin Thant Hlaing contributed reporting to this article.

Paloma Chapa

Paloma Chapa is the multimedia editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at multimedia@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @paloma_chapa88