Beetlejuice

Photo courtesy of IMDb.

‘Beetlejuice Beetlejuice’ brings a whimsical twist to a classic

Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Binge watch?

In a delightful return to the world of the undead, Tim Burton resurrects his iconic 1988 film with a fresh twist that combines nostalgia with new adventures. “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” captures the quirky charm and dark humor of its predecessor while introducing a new generation to the misadventures of the mischievous bio-exorcist.

The film picks up years after the original, where we find Lydia Deetz, now played by an older Winona Ryder, fully embracing her identity as a goth artist. Lydia is now balancing work life and mom life with an unruly teenage daughter named Astrid. Beetlejuice, who is played once again by the inimitable Michael Keaton, is released after Astrid stumbles upon the portal to the afterlife in the attic.

With a comedic flair and undeniable charisma, Keaton breathes life back into the character, delivering a performance that balances menace and hilarity. It was only a matter of time before someone said “Beetlejuice” three times.

The film's plot revolves around Lydia’s quest to reclaim her creative spark, which Beetlejuice exploits for his chaotic ends. As she navigates the eccentric underworld, audiences are treated to visually stunning sequences that showcase Burton's signature style: whimsical sets, bold colors and a healthy dose of the macabre.

The blend of practical effects and CGI creates a fantastical atmosphere that pays homage to the original while pushing the boundaries of modern filmmaking.

Supporting performances from Jenna Ortega and Willem Dafoe bring depth and humor to the film, with each character adding layers to the story. The film also introduces new ghostly characters who enrich the narrative, providing fresh comedic moments and unexpected twists.

However, “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” occasionally stumbles in its pacing, with some plot points feeling rushed or underdeveloped. Fans of the original may find themselves longing for the tighter storytelling that characterized Burton's earlier work.

Nevertheless, the film compensates for these missteps with its enchanting visuals and a soundtrack that expertly mixes classic tunes with original compositions.

Ultimately, “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” serves as a love letter to fans of the franchise while inviting newcomers into its bizarre universe. It successfully blends nostalgia with innovation, making it a must-see for anyone seeking a quirky escape from reality.

Fans can enjoy “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” in movie theaters until the movie is released on streaming services.

Izabella Kubiak-Reseigh is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobocom or on X @kubiakizabella