ASUNM passes legislation as rules delay funding for UNM Black Engineers chapter

The Associated Students at the University of New Mexico passed five appropriations and one bill during the full senate meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 23. Among the appropriations passed was funding for events for student organizations like Tau Beta Pi, the Bangladeshi Student Association and the Professional Sales Association.

After some initial confusion regarding the venue and a change in ballrooms at the Student Union Building, all legislation from the agenda was passed, with five senate absences.

Bill 11F, proposed by Sen. Shin Thant Hlaing of the Steering and Rules Committee, sought to redefine “demerit” as laid out in the ASUNM Lawbook.

Appropriation 36F, proposed by Sen. Gabbie Gonzáles, originally sought $19,912 in funding for the UNM chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers to send 18 students to the NSBE National Convention in Chicago in March 2025. However, the proposal was cut by the Finance Committee to $1,500 due to senate standing rules that cap the amount of money allowed for new student organizations.

Finance Committee Chair Bailey Rutherford told the Daily Lobo that a “new student organization” is defined in the ASUNM Finance Committee Standing Rules as either a newly chartered organization or an organization that hasn’t received funding in over one academic year.

The NSBE falls into the latter category, which severely limits the amount of money the organization can request through appropriations, according to Rutherford.

The NSBE did not respond to two requests for comment via email in time for publication. Rutherford said that through prior communication with the Finance Committee, the NSBE was under the impression that the trip could still move forward despite the late funding.

The final appropriation passed, including funding for the Association for Jotería Arts, Activism and Scholarship’s “Cholo Goth Night,” which takes place next month.

The event, which Sen. Sayuri Pingal said hopes to draw a large attendance, will take place at the LGBTQ Resource Center at 5 p.m. on Nov. 5.

ASUNM’s next full senate meeting is Nov. 6.

Editor’s note: Shin Thant Hlaing is a reporter for the Daily Lobo. She was not involved in the reporting or writing of this article.

Elliott Wood is a freelance reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. They can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on X @dailylobo

Elizabeth Bolke contributed reporting to this article.