United 1.jpg

United players Kris Shakes, Avionne Flanagan, Jace Sais, Nicki Hernández and Mukwelle Akale, left to right, run to thank fans after the game against Miami FC at Isotopes Park on Friday, Sept. 6. New Mexico United won the match against Miami 1-0.

United shuts out Miami FC 1-0

New Mexico United took down Miami FC 1-0 on Friday, Sept. 6. The win stretches United’s lead of the Western Conference to 10 points. The team is just four points away from clinching a playoff spot with eight matches left in the season.

Jacobo Reyes scored the lone goal of the game at the 45-minute mark. Miami FC’s goalie Khadim Ndiaye blocked a shot but was unable to secure the ball, which led to Reyes charging the ball and placing it in the back of the net.

After the match, Reyes talked about how the coaching staff is putting him in a position to capitalize on rebounds to help fuel the offense.

“The coach has really made me be in those spots, like, can I increase my (expected goals), just be there for the rebounds or just try to be active? And I think it's been worth it. I mean, I'm scoring those rebounds and I think it's good because I'm helping the team to win. So I gotta keep doing it,” Reyes said.

United dominated the possession battle with 63.4% and despite only finding the net once, it had eight shots on goal. After the match, head coach Eric Quill said finding consistency in scoring is key to taking over the league.

"I think with the ball for 70 yards, we're the best in the league,” Quill said. “If we're really going to be considered the best — and we've had games that we are — the consistency is where ... you've got to be.”

The win improved United’s record to 16-3-7. With 51 points on the season, United has a 10-point lead in the Western Conference, but Louisville City FC leads the league with 59 points.

Quill said United’s goal is to continue to improve during this stretch of the season and overtake Louisville in the standings.

“All these guys have growth mindsets and they want to be better. And we'll make ourselves better continuously. But we're the top team in the conference for good reason. And we're still chasing — obviously — Louisville, because we want to end the season (at the top),” Quill said.

United will go to Michigan to face Detroit City FC on Saturday, Sept. 14. Detroit City FC has a record of 10-9-8, and is right in the middle of the Eastern Conference’s playoff race.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on X @thomasbulger10

Thomas Bulger

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10