uncommitted.jpg

A Vote Uncommitted New Mexico table set up at the “Not Another Bomb” rally and march at Tiguex Park on Sunday, Aug. 18.

Uncommitted movement persists at UNM with Harris as Democratic nominee

Some University of New Mexico students who voted “uncommitted” during the 2024 primary elections continue to decline support for the Democratic nominee.

During the 2024 primary elections, 10% of Democratic voters in New Mexico checked the  uncommitted box — about double the number of those who voted uncommitted in the 2020 primary elections.

President Joe Biden won the primary elections but later dropped out, with Vice President Kamala Harris becoming the new Democratic nominee.

Since the primary elections, Vote Uncommitted New Mexico, an organization advocating for progressive policies, has held rallies in Albuquerque that criticize Harris for her role in the Biden administration’s support for Israel.

Naomi Ull, an undergraduate student at UNM and uncommitted voter, is undecided on whether she will vote for Harris in the general elections due to the Biden administration’s role in the war in Gaza, she said.

On May 15, the University Network for Human Rights and other U.S. human rights groups published a report that concluded the government of Israel committed genocidal acts against Palestinians in Gaza.

“After reviewing the facts … we conclude that Israel’s actions in and regarding Gaza since Oct. 7, 2023, violate the Genocide Convention. Specifically, Israel has committed genocidal acts of killing, causing serious harm to, and inflicting conditions of life calculated to bring about the physical destruction of Palestinians in Gaza, a protected group that forms a substantial part of the Palestinian people,” the report reads.

On April 24, Biden signed a bill into law that included $14.1 billion in funding to support Israel, according to the U.S. Department of Defense.

“My view of (voting) uncommitted is that it is the protest vote,” Ull said. “When it comes to stopping genocide, they want you to think that it can be done only through them, because they're the establishment. Voting uncommitted is the acknowledgement within that system that they have not provided an option for something that people genuinely want.”

Harris is “just as bad” as Biden regarding the war in Gaza, Ull said. The absence of Palestinian speakers at the Democratic National Convention and Harris’ reaction to pro-Palestine protesters at one of her rallies was frustrating, she said.

“I think she's going to be more enthusiastic about doing nothing than Biden was, but ultimately, she's going to do as much active harm and genocide as Biden did,” Ull said.

Pro-Palestine Democrats and leaders of the uncommitted movement’s request for a speaker at the DNC was denied by DNC officials, according to PBS.

On Aug. 7, Harris’ speech at a Michigan rally was interrupted by about half a dozen pro-Palestine activists chanting, “Kamala, Kamala, you can’t hide, we won’t vote for genocide,” according to NBC.

“I’m here because we believe in democracy. Everyone’s voice matters. But I am speaking now,” she said in response.

Later, after the chants persisted, she said, “If you want Donald Trump to win, then say that.”

At the DNC, Harris gave a speech that called for a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas and a hostage deal. In the speech, Harris also said she would always stand up for Israel’s right to defend itself.

“President Biden and I are working to end this war such that Israel is secure, the hostages are released, the suffering in Gaza ends and the Palestinian people can realize their right to dignity, security, freedom and self-determination,” Harris said at the DNC.

Ceryn Schoel  — a law student and uncommitted voter — said Harris’ speech was hypocritical considering the aid the Biden administration sent to Israel.

“It's insulting to hear somebody say, ‘We're sending these massive bombs that are only used to destroy city blocks, that are only used to target civilians,’ and at the same time out of the other corner of their mouth they say, ‘We really want this to end, guys.’ It feels like a dystopia,” Schoel said.

Schoel said she believes Harris is not as interested in supporting Israel as Biden is. Harris is moveable to a more pro-Palestine position, according to Schoel.

Schoel, who has been active in progressive and Democratic politics, says she will be vocally supportive once Harris talks about using her leverage to end the war in Gaza.

“I have my pen in hand. I want to vote so badly. I can see the bubble being filled next to her name. I just need her to hear us. I just need her to shift,” Schoel said.

Nate Bernard is a beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on X @natebernard14