OPINION: ‘WALL-E’ wannabe delivers food

Since the start of the semester, I have been observing the little robots puttering around campus with their flags, delivering food to people. These robots are a collaboration between University of New Mexico Food, Grubhub and Starship Technologies for a new food delivery method on campus.

Recently, I tested out the new venture and had a positive experience.

I ordered food from the Subway in the Student Union Building — a tuna sandwich, chips and a drink — and set it to deliver to the north side of Zimmerman Library. The robots deliver to various spots across campus, including the dorms, Dane Smith Hall, Zimmerman and other buildings on campus. To see all the delivery spots and to order food via the robots, the steps are as follows:

1. Download the Grubhub app and select “campus.” Log in with your UNM email.
  2. Eight restaurants allow Starship delivery robots and each of them show in the upper corner of the app. Pick one to order from and a robot will bring you your food.
  3. Pick where you want it delivered. There are 72 options around campus, though that does not include the Duck Pond, which would be a good addition. The robot does not go further than Main Campus.
  4. Order your food and wait.

A negative aspect of the Starship delivery is that it takes longer than walking to and ordering in the SUB would normally take. I ordered my food and it took roughly half an hour to receive it — while on the app, said it would have taken an estimated 10 minutes to pick it up at the SUB Subway.

So if you want your food fast and don't mind walking, take the trip to the SUB. However, if you feel like sitting and having a robot do all the heavy lifting, then order through Starship.

After a bit of waiting, I got a notification that the robot was headed toward me. I watched the map as it got closer. Eventually, I spotted the robot and watched it stop north of Zimmerman.

You do have to locate the robot, but the location tracker on the app is accurate and it goes right near the building, so there should be no issues. The robot is also very visible with the flag, and it lets out a long beep to help you find it, making it more accessible.

Once I located the robot, the app prompted me to press “I found the robot — unlock,” which unlocked it. I was worried about the security of ordering food via the robot, but you cannot get into it unless you look at your order on the Grubhub app and press the button.

Once unlocked, the robot talks, saying “Here is your order.” You close it and press “Send the robot away." The robot says, “Goodbye, have a good day,” and off it goes.

My food came to me perfectly without any issues, and nothing looked jumbled from the robot ride. The inside of the robot includes three cup holders so there are no worries about drink spillage.

All in all, I recommend utilizing the robot delivery, even if it is just for fun. I enjoyed watching the robot zoom toward me — they go pretty fast — as its little flag waved in the air in greeting.

UNM Food told the Daily Lobo that answers to further questions on the robots had to be approved by the Grubhub and UNM Food corporate teams, both of which did not respond in time for publication. The Daily Lobo will run a follow-up article when it receives the answers.

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on X @esecor2003

Elizabeth Secor

Elizabeth Secor is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted on Twitter @esecor2003