Lobos y Lowriders: Cultura y comunidad on campus

The second annual Lobos y Lowriders event on Sept. 18 was one of several events that kicked off Hispanic Heritage Month at the University of New Mexico, bringing New Mexican car culture and community to campus.

Sponsored by the Chicana and Chicano studies department and the Student Activity Center, the Cornell Mall held 12 cars — twice as many as last year. Valerie Chavez, a CCS doctoral student, organized the event for the second time.

“My main goal with throwing the event is to have as much representation of the lowrider community as possible,” Chavez said. “So the more people from the lowrider community I can get here, the better.”

Chavez worked in collaboration with Parking and Transportation Services employee Gilbert Chavez, who has also been involved with the lowrider community for a long time, to get vehicles to the event.

The event also grew with the addition of a food truck, an appearance from Lobo Louie and live music from DJ Dolla Bill, according to Valerie.

Student-led car club InteliGente tabled at the event for the second year. Dominique Rodríguez — InteliGente co-founder and CCS doctoral student — talked about the importance of having a space for car culture on campus.

“One of the main things that we’re trying to do with the club is create spaces where we can bring all of these parts of ourselves instead of feeling like we have to leave certain parts of our culture and our identity,” Rodríguez said.

Dante Olivas — CCS graduate student and InteliGente member — seconded that sentiment. He said these events bridge the gap between academics and culture.

“The University has done some pushback with a lot of the things that we want here, but to have them be like ‘You know what, this is a great event, I think we should do it again, how can we support you?’ That is definitely a great attitude shift,” Olivas said.

Valerie said that growing up in Albuquerque, she noticed many residents identified with the UNM Lobos regardless of whether they attended the university.

“For me, it was important for them to be able to be invited on campus,” Valerie said. “It’s just as important for students as it is for the lowriders to be able to come here, to actually come here.”

In terms of community outreach, InteliGente is beginning the process of building a lowrider bicycle, Rodríguez said. The club will do outreach with local middle and high schools to build the bicycle as well as discuss their experiences as Chicane university students, Rodríguez said.

Rodríguez brought her classic truck, which she has been working on for 11 years, to the event. Being able to bring it to campus was “like a dream come true,” she said.

“I’ve been dreaming about having a classic truck and participating in shows since I was a little kid, so it’s an incredible feeling,” Rodríguez said.

Valerie expressed interest in continuing the event in the future, and Olivas said InteliGente hopes to hold it by Zimmerman Library, where there would be more space for the cars.

“I’d love to see a bounce,” Olivas said, referring to the bouncing of the cars.

The next InteliGente meeting is on Oct. 4. All are welcome to join, regardless of vehicle ownership.

Marcela Johnson is a senior reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on X @dailylobo

Marcela Johnson

Marcela Johnson is a senior reporter for the Daily Lobo, and the editor-in-chief of Limina: UNM Nonfiction Review.