Football: Lobos remain winless after loss to Fresno State

The University of New Mexico football team matched up against the Fresno State Bulldogs on Saturday, Sept. 21. The Lobos struggled to find their rhythm on both sides of the ball, which ultimately led to them losing the game 38-21.

The defense struggled to get off the field early, which led to Fresno State wearing down the defense and managing the clock for the majority of the game. The offense was not helping matters either as players came out flat, turning the ball over and getting off the field early into drives. Adding to all that, the Lobos were penalized a total of 17 times in the game — a tie for the most penalties in the program's history.

The first quarter was a telltale sign of things to come.

The defense got off to a positive start, as players forced Fresno State to punt on the first drive. The Lobos’ first offensive drive, however, was anything but positive. Running back Eli Sanders ended up fumbling the football, which was recovered swiftly by Fresno State.

Fresno State then capitalized off the turnover, turning it into a touchdown. To add insult to injury, Fresno State went for and got a two-point conversion. The following offensive drive for the Lobos fizzled out in the red zone. The Lobos trailed 8-3 at the end of the first quarter.

To start the second quarter, Fresno State capped off an offensive drive with ease. Fresno State trotted all the way down the field, finding the end zone. The following Lobo offensive possession did not amount to much, as they had to punt and send their defense right back on the field. 

Luckily for the Lobos, the defense was able to hold Fresno State to just three.

What happened next for the Lobos was disastrous: Quarterback Devon Dampier threw a costly interception. Fresno State was able to convert the turnover into points as they once again found the endzone. Down 25-3 at this point, the Lobos needed points badly. Luckily, they got them. 

Dampier led the Lobos down the field. Eventually, Dampier connected with Trace Bruckler for a score at the end of the quarter. Fresno led 25-10 going into half.

In the third quarter, the Lobos got the ball to start. Unfortunately, the Lobos’ first drive stalled out and went nowhere. Defensively, the Lobos were able to hold Fresno State to three on their following offensive possession. 

When the Lobos got the ball back, Dampier threw another costly interception. Luckily for him and the offense, the defense got a stop and forced Fresno State to punt. Fresno State led 28-10 through three quarters.

In the fourth and final quarter, the Lobos started out by getting points as they settled for three on their opening drive of the quarter. After the Lobo defense forced another stop, the Lobo offense took the field once again, only down by 15.

However, this offensive possession faltered as the Lobos turned the ball over on downs after a failed fourth-down conversion attempt. 

At this point, emotions were running high for the Lobos,which led edge rusher Gabriel Lopez to throw a punch at one of the Fresno State players on the following Fresno State possession. This action resulted in Fresno State moving 15 yards up the field and Lopez being ejected.

Fresno State took the incident personally as they added onto the score and wound up in the end zone once again. The Lobos responded with a late score and successful 2-point conversion, but it was too little, too late. After a failed onside kick attempt by New Mexico, Fresno State proceeded to kick a field goal and take the win over the Lobos 38-21.

With this loss, the Lobos fell to 0-4 on the season, which head coach Bronco Mendenhall reflected on.

“We acknowledge the record, that's part of my job, but right now we go and focus on the next game,” Mendenhall said.

Despite the loss, wide receiver Luke Wysong had a very good game. Wysong had 10 receptions for 126 yards. However, football is a team sport, and Wysong looks to the offense to make corrections after the flat offensive start the Lobos had against Fresno State.

“We have to come out with energy and fire to start — it's that plain and simple,” Wysong said.

The Lobos will aim to get their first win next week as they head to Las Cruces to face off against the rival New Mexico State University Aggies.

Rodney Prunty is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on X @rprunty05