UNMPD Lights

A University of New Mexico Police Department unit drives through main campus on April 15, 2020.

Campus crime: Week of Sept. 9

From Monday, Sept. 9 through Sunday, Sept. 15, there were 32 individual entries of crimes reported on or near the University of New Mexico campus that were entered into its daily crime log.

Red paint poured on statue

On Friday, Sept. 13, officers located a damaged statue, according to the crime log. The lobo statue that faces Central Avenue on the corner of University Boulevard had been covered in red paint. It was also adorned in a keffiyeh, according to a photo posted to X. A keffiyeh is a symbol of Palestinian liberation, according to NPR

As of Sept. 15, the keffiyeh no longer appeared on the statue, but the red paint remained.

Arrest at Collaborative Teaching and Learning building

On Aug. 30, a man was arrested near the Honors College. He had previously been served and was located on campus. He was taken into custody and booked, and the offense is listed in the log as “criminal damage/graffiti.”

The incident was entered into the log on Saturday, Sept. 14.

Arrest on Martin Luther King Avenue

On Wednesday, Sept. 11, officers conducted a traffic stop near the Estufa structure at the corner of University Boulevard and Martin Luther King Avenue. The driver was found to have a warrant and was taken into custody, according to the crime log.

Harassment at South Campus

On Sept. 5, police took a report of harassment at the New Mexico State Ethics Commission office across from Central New Mexico Community College. According to the log, voicemails “were left with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend” the office. 

The incident was entered into the log on Tuesday, Sept. 10.

Trespass at Casas del Rio

There were two listed instances of a man who is not a student or staff member being found inside the Jemez part of Casas del Rio. In both instances, a criminal trespass was issued and the man was escorted off campus.

The first incident occurred on Aug. 1, according to the crime log. The second incident was entered as having been reported on Wednesday, Sept. 18 — which had not yet occurred at the time of its entry into the log.

Both incidents were entered into the log on Sept. 14. The University of New Mexico Police Department was not immediately available before publication to clarify the typo.

Arrest near Yale Parking Structure

On Sept. 7, a man was taken into custody for driving while intoxicated on Los Lomas Road near the Yale Parking Structure, according to the log. He had been running stop signs.

The incident was entered into the log on Sept. 14.

Theft and damage

There were 12 additional entries that involved theft and damage. The offenses included two instances of auto burglary, six instances of “criminal damage/graffiti,” two instances of larceny, an instance of “unlawful taking of a motor vehicle” and an instance of a recovered stolen vehicle.

Assault and battery

There were recorded instances that involved battery — “the unlawful touching of another person,” according to LawInfo — and assault, which involves an intentional act but doesn’t always involve physical contact. Six of the instances involved battery on a health care worker, while the rest involved other forms of assault and battery.

Editor’s note: The crimes listed were entered into the daily crime log during the week. The list includes crimes that police entered last week but allegedly occurred before that. It does not include crimes that may have occurred but weren’t entered into the log.

Lauren Lifke is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on X @lauren_lifke

Lauren Lifke

Lauren Lifke is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lauren_lifke