campus crime sept 09.jpg

Casas del Rio student housing at the University of New Mexico on July 21, 2023.

Campus crime: Week of Sept. 2

From Monday, Sept. 2 through Sunday, Sept. 8, there were 34 crimes reported on or near the University of New Mexico campus that were entered into its daily crime log.

There was also a LoboAlert issued to the community on Sept. 8.

LoboAlert: Police activity near North Campus

At about 3 p.m. on Sept. 8, a LoboAlert notified the campus community of police activity near University Boulevard and Indian School Road. The Albuquerque Police Department was working on an active incident at an apartment complex in the area, according to the alert. The alert advised the community to avoid the area until further notice.

A second alert two hours later advised that there were no active threats. In a phone call with the Daily Lobo, the University of New Mexico Police Department said the only person who could provide further information was the public information officer, who was not available prior to publication on Sept. 8.

Battery and break-in at Casas del Rio

On the early morning of Sept. 2, a subject committed aggravated battery on a victim at the Casas del Rio Pecos building, according to the crime log. Aggravated battery is “one of the most serious forms of battery,” according to the Legal Information Institute. It involves physical contact with the intention of causing harm to another person, and it usually results in serious injury.

A subject then committed “breaking and entering,” according to the crime log. The victim was battered and then broke into the building, according to the log. UNMPD was not immediately available before publication to clarify to the Daily Lobo whether the battery victim was the perpetrator of the break-in.

Arrest at Lobo Village

On the night of Aug. 30, a suspect was arrested at Lobo Village after evading a police officer, according to the log.

The subject was “disorderly while possessing alcohol and refused to provide his ID,” the log reads. He then fled from the police and was arrested. The listed offenses are “disorderly conduct,” “concealing identity,” “minor in possession of alcohol” and “resisting, evading (and/or) obstructing a police officer,” according to the daily crime log.

The incident was entered into the log on Sept. 8.

Arrest at Coronado Hall

On Tuesday, Sept. 3, two suspects stole two bikes from a bike rack at Coronado Hall. The listed offenses were “conspiracy” and “larceny,” and the incident was cleared by arrest. The incident was entered into the log on Sept. 8.

Battery on a health care worker

There were five listed instances of battery — “the unlawful touching of another person,” according to LawInfo — against health care workers entered into the log. They all occurred at the UNM Hospital Children’s Psychiatric Center, and three of the instances occurred in August but were entered into the crime log during the week.

Battery and assault

Aside from acts committed upon health care workers, there were two listed instances of simple battery — which involves touching another person — and one of simple assault — which involves an intentional act but doesn’t always involve physical contact, according to LawInfo.

The two cases of battery took place at UNMH.

On Sept. 2 a suspect swung a stick at a victim on Las Lomas Road. The case is still listed as “active” as of Sept. 8.

Suspect hits car with hammer

On Sept. 2, a suspect at the UNMH Adult Psychiatric Center threw a hammer and hit a vehicle, according to the log. The incident was “cleared by arrest” and entered into the log on Sept. 8.

Dispute and harassment

There was one instance of a domestic dispute at Johnson Center on Aug. 29. The case is listed as “closed” and was entered into the log on Sept. 3.

On Aug. 21, a student allegedly harassed staff members at Dane Smith Hall, according to the log. The case was entered into the log on Sept. 4.

Reckless driving

On Aug. 29, a suspect was driving recklessly and their vehicle was towed. The incident was entered into the log on Sept. 3.

Theft and damage

In addition to the above mentioned incidents, there were seven listed instances of auto burglary, one of “criminal damage/graffiti,” one of tampering with a motor vehicle, three of “unlawful taking of a motor vehicle,” one of commercial burglary and one of larceny entered into the log during the week.

Auto burglary involves entering and taking a vehicle, according to New Mexico Statute § 30-16-3 (2023). Unlawful taking of a motor vehicle involves someone taking a vehicle from another person intentionally without consent, according to New Mexico Statute § 30-16D-1 (2023).

Editor’s note: The crimes listed were entered into the daily crime log during the week. The list includes crimes that police entered last week but allegedly occurred before that. It does not include crimes that may have occurred but weren’t entered into the log.

Lauren Lifke is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on X @lauren_lifke

Lauren Lifke

Lauren Lifke is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lauren_lifke