2024 New Mexico State Fair kicks off

The 2024 New Mexico State Fair has officially kicked off in Albuquerque.

From Sept. 5-15, the fair features familiar staples like live music in the rodeos and around the grounds, petting zoos, carnival rides and an assortment of food and drink options.

Over the days, the rodeos will feature live entertainment from Brad Paisley, Cole Swindell and Josh Turner, according to the New Mexico State Fair website.

Jason D’Vaude, known as “The Circus Man,” is performing for the fourth year in a row, and a new event — Duke City Championship Wrestling — involves WWE-style fights for the crowds to watch and root for.

In the stables on the north end of the fairgrounds, fair-goers can meet and spend time with Arabian horses.

Rebecca Sparks and Platinum Performance Horses are taking part in this year’s horse show events at the fair.

Platinum Performance Horses trains Arabian and half-Arabian show horses. The company also offers riding lessons and summer camps, according to Sparks.

“We’ve had a great kick-off for the first day of the State Fair; it’s been nice to see spectators in the stands. We’re excited to educate people about the Arabian breed and the work we do,” Sparks said.

Antonya Molluer and her photography studio Morning Glory Studios are at the horse stables taking portrait photos of the Arabian horses during the horse show events.

“I primarily photograph people, but I was a horse trainer for many years, and following an injury I’ve shifted much more into photography and I enjoy still getting to work with the horses,” Molleur said.

Molleur donates the session fees from her photography at the fair to Horses For Healing, a non-profit organization in Albuquerque.

Booths along the main walkway of the fair feature popular food and drink options such as turkey legs, ice cream and lemonade. There are also opportunities to see snakes, monkeys and birds for a small fee.

The University of New Mexico Truman Health Services makes an appearance, offering sexually transmitted infection testing and prophylactics free of charge to promote positive sexual health practices. Last year, its booth provided over 500 people with their HIV status, according to Truman Health Services Community Health Resources Manager Craig LaBerge-Esparza.

“The New Mexico State Fair sees visitors from all over the Southwest, and we’re excited to be able to speak with newcomers about HIV and hepatitis C, get them tested at our mobile unit and provide them with condoms and other important tools for sexual health,” LaBerge-Esparza said.

More events, including the Great American Pig and Duck Races, New Mexico State Fair Ambassadogs and the Strolling DJ will continue through the week.

Maria Fernandez is a freelance reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com or on X @dailylobo