OPINION: Editor fall fashion trend predictions

Summer 2024 fashion was "brat" one week, coquette the next. And with the changing season, it’s uncertain what new fashion trends will arise. Two Daily Lobo editors predicted the outfits you’ll be seeing around campus in the coming weeks.

“Midwest Princess”

Inspired by Chappell Roan’s sudden rise to worldwide fame this summer following her 2023 debut album “The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess,” the “midwest princess” look will soon start to appear in your local coffee shop. The aesthetic features camo caps, baggy T-shirts, jorts and whale tales.

The “midwest princess” look is notably political: recently, Vice President Kamala Harris and her presidential running mate Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz released a now-sold out camo baseball hat with “Harris-Walz” in orange lettering. Roan sells a similar cap.

2014 Tumblr

For Gen Z, the 2014 Tumblr era shaped both our personalities and our outfits. Ten years later, people are returning to the fishnet tights, oversized flannels, space buns and pleated miniskirts.

The look is inspired by music, similar to the “midwest princess,” though the vibe is disparate. Think the on-stage style of the Arctic Monkeys, Twenty One Pilots and Halsey at the time.

Tumblr in 2014 was a sometimes-toxic place, especially for kids with unrestricted internet access. The resurgence of its fashion is a way for people to take back the trends it brought without the unhealthy behavior — like disordered eating and substance abuse — it glorified.

Crop tops for everyone

Though fashion is gender neutral, crop tops are stereotypically thought of as feminine. But in the 1980s, crop tops were a trend for all, especially men and masculine-presenting people. This fall, that notion will return.

Think back to Prince’s iconic appearances in the crop top, or Sylvester Stallone and Carl Weathers sporting the item in “Rocky III.” Will Smith wore one in “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.”

The jury’s still out on whether ‘80s-style short-shorts will be back in too, but we’re here for it.

Denim

Denim bikinis, denim miniskirts, denim boots, denim corsets, denim everything. While the Canadian tuxedo never truly left, denim will soon be back in full force.

You may have noticed that many trends of the 2020s have come from 2000s fashion and icons like Britney Spears (who could forget the 2001 American Music Awards?), Christina Aguilera and Rihanna. Denim is no different.

This trend is especially simple to style, since you can just pair it with more denim.

“Matrix” core

In light of the increasingly sci-fi-esque state of the world, fashion inspired by the 1999 film “The Matrix” will become popular this fall, with a twist.

Gen Z artists and influencers like Alex Consani and Troye Sivan embody this trend. They solve the dilemma of what club rat baddies are supposed to do in cold weather. The aesthetic of baby tees, leather, trench coats, bikini bottoms and "Matrix" glasses allow everyone to slay and serve through all the seasons.

Lily Alexander is the editor-in-chief of the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on X @llilyalexander

Liliana Esparza is the photo editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at photoeditor@dailylobo.com or on Instagram @lili.published

Lily Alexander

Lily Alexander is the 2024-2025 Editor of the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at editorinchief@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @llilyalexander