Crime brief: Week of Aug. 11

Man arrested after breaking into SUB

From Sunday, Aug. 11 through Saturday, Aug. 17, there were 19 crimes reported on or near the University of New Mexico campus that police entered into its daily crime log.

The crimes listed were entered into the log during the week. The list includes crimes that police entered last week but allegedly occurred before that. It does not include crimes that may have occurred but weren’t entered into the log.

Student Union Building break-in

On July 30, a man broke into the SUB after hours, according to the log. He took items from the SUB and damaged the building, and he was arrested. The listed offenses were “larceny,” “criminal damage/graffiti” and “commercial burglary,” which is defined as unlawful entry into a commercial establishment with intent to commit a crime, according to Antonoplos & Associates.

The incident was entered into the crime log on Thursday, Aug. 15.

Arrest near Collaborative Teaching and Learning Building

On Tuesday, Aug. 13, a male was arrested near the Collaborative Teaching and Learning Building after standing in traffic and creating a danger to the community, according to the log. He allegedly resisted arrest, and the listed offenses were “disorderly conduct” and “resisting, evading or obstructing a police officer.”

Another entry in the crime log contains the same word-for-word description of an incident at Mesa Vista Hall that allegedly occurred the day before. The listed offenses for the MVH incident were “possession of a controlled substance” and “criminal trespass.” The UNM Police Department’s records office was not immediately available to clarify whether the duplicated description was a mistype following three calls to the main department.

Larceny

There were three additional instances of larceny, defined as “the unlawful taking of personal property,” according to Merriam-Webster.

Two were incidents of stolen bicycle parts, and one was of a stolen license plate.

Unlawful taking of a motor vehicle

There were two instances of vehicle theft: one at the Lomas Parking Structure and another near Popejoy Hall.

Battery on a health care worker

There were five instances of battery — “the unlawful touching of another person,” according to LawInfo — against health care workers recorded at the UNM Hospital. Two were at the Children’s Psychiatric Center, one was at the Adult Psychiatric Center and the locations of the other two instances were unspecified within UNMH.

Simple battery

On Thursday, Aug. 15, a pedestrian was allegedly punched in the face near North Campus, according to the crime log.

Criminal damage/graffiti

Aside from the SUB incident, there was one additional case of "criminal damage/graffiti" recorded in the log. On Tuesday, Aug. 13, a vehicle was allegedly damaged in the Cornell Parking Structure.

Lauren Lifke is the news editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at news@dailylobo.com or on X @lauren_lifke

Lauren Lifke

Lauren Lifke is the managing editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at managingeditor@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @lauren_lifke