Isotopes start second half with a series split

The Albuquerque Isotopes started the second half of their season on Monday, June 24 against the Salt Lake Bees. The Isotopes finished last in the Pacific Coast League first half with a record of 26-49.

When asked about what he liked about the first half of the season, Isotopes Manager Pedro Lopez said he liked how often the team got on base. But finding hits with runners in scoring position is the next step, he said.

“We definitely ran the bases really well in the first half and that allowed us to be in a lot of games but unfortunately we just couldn't get that big hit,” Lopez said.

The Isotopes started the series with an 8-4 win against the Bees on Tuesday, June 25. A five-run first inning fueled by a pair of home runs allowed the team to take the first game.

Drew Romo hit a two-run homer, and later in the inning, Grant Lavigne smacked a three-run home run. Noah Davis pitched six innings and allowed three runs off of five hits.

The Isotopes followed it up on Wednesday, June 26, with a 6-1 win. Isotopes pitchers held the Bees to five hits in the game. At the bottom of the eighth inning, Willie MacIver hit a three-run home run to secure an Isotopes win.

Thursday, June 27 was the first loss of the second half. The Isotopes lost 8-7 due to a ninth inning collapse. Going into the top of the ninth inning, the Isotopes led 7-2, but then gave up six runs. Six of the Bees’ nine hits came during the ninth inning.

The next game was “country night,” where Connor Kaiser earned the Isotopes a 12-11 walkoff win in the 11th inning.

Going into the bottom of the ninth inning, the Isotopes were down 9-7, but hits from Jimmy Herron and Lavigne scored two runs to tie the game. Down by one in the bottom of the 11th inning, with two runners on, Kaiser doubled to score two runs and win the game.

At the following game on Saturday, June 29, former Albuquerque Dukes manager and player Mike Scioscia was honored as a member of the Albuquerque Baseball Hall of Fame as part of “Dukes retro night.” The game was delayed, then suspended due to rain after the Isotopes fell to 5-0 in the second inning.

The Isotopes went on to lose the first game of the Sunday, June 30 double header 13-2.

The final game of the series ended in a 5-3 loss for the Isotopes. After going down 5-0, the Isotopes scored three runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, highlighted by a Julio Carreras triple to score two. The team failed to complete a rally in later innings.

“Even though we split the series against Salt Lake City, I feel like we could have taken four or five (games) away from them; unfortunately it didn't happen and it's all on me. When we're pitching well … we're going to be in some ball games, and with our offense I think we're going to be okay,” Lopez said.

The Isotopes start their next series on July 2 against the Chihuahuas in El Paso.

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10

Thomas Bulger

Thomas Bulger is the sports editor for the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @thomasbulger10