Firework Vendors

Fireworks on the side of a road. Photo courtesy of Unsplash.

Business is booming: meet one of Albuquerque’s firework sellers

During the 2024 firework season, predicted firework revenues exceeded $2.4 billion in the United States, according to the American Pyrotechnics Association. Different employees at firework vendors get involved in the industry for different reasons, Marcus Muldez, the New Mexico area manager for TNT Fireworks, said.

Each year, Americans purchase and light nearly 275 million pounds of fireworks, according to Axios. The majority of these – about 250 million pounds – are bought by individual consumers from firework tents and vendors like TNT, according to Axios.

Muldez initially started selling fireworks as part of a church fundraiser. The profit was used to build homes for unhoused families in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico.

“What’s great about selling fireworks is that we sell what’s legal, so we have peace of mind at every single location. It brings the family together. You’ll find that most of our locations are families, or sports coaches or church groups. A lot are nonprofits,” Muldez said.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, consumer fireworks sales skyrocketed. Individuals bought nearly 386 million pounds of fireworks in 2020, according to the American Pyrotechnics Association.

Firework sales in 2024 did not reach the COVID-era peak, but Muldez said business is still healthy, despite inflation.

“TNT has really tried over the past few seasons to find areas where we can give additional specials and price breaks,” Muldez said.

Since 2015, U.S. adults have become less proud to be American, according to a Gallup poll. In June 2024, two in five Americans – or 41% – described themselves as “extremely proud” to be American. However, lower patriotism has not translated to lower firework sales, according to Muldez.

“Just like Christmas, people love to celebrate and have time with their families. I think most people are like ‘I don’t really want to think about (political tension). I want to enjoy time with my family; I have a four-day weekend,’” Muldez said.

Fireworks can hold significant meaning to people, as Muldez relayed with a story of a customer who lights fireworks in memoriam of her son.

“She was so genuine and heartfelt. We all decided, ‘Hey, we want to bless you with this firework. Let’s honor your son.’ And the lady just wept … Just little acts of kindness (mean a lot). It’s not about selling something just to sell something,” Muldez said.

Addison Fulton is the culture editor for the Daily Lobo. She can be reached at culture@dailylobo.com