UNM researchers discover new species, answer Darwinian question

Previously considered all one species, the giant hummingbird group is actually made up of two distinct species, according to a study published last month.

The study, published in the journal “PNAS” in collaboration with the University of New Mexico and the Museum of Southwestern Biology (MSB), answered centuries-old questions about giant hummingbirds. In 1834, naturalist Charles Darwin wrote about not knowing where the birds went after they bred, according to lead researcher Jessie Williamson.

“This has been a question that has been outstanding in the literature for a very, very long time,” Williamson said. “Darwin was the first person to actually note it in a publication.”

The new study shows that the two species have little differences in physical structure but big differences in genetics, according to genetics researcher Ethan Gyllenhaal.

“At the time, Darwin didn't realize that there were two giant hummingbirds, but this new work is essential for understanding one of Darwin's major driving questions: how do new species form?” Gyllenhaal said.

The study considered whether the birds’ migration, physiology or genetics help explain certain processes of evolution.

One of the research methods involved using tracking backpacks on the hummingbirds to observe their movements, according to the study. The devices tracked the hummingbirds from the coast of Chile to the Andes mountains in Peru.

Tracking and catching hummingbirds is challenging, due in part to their proportions and intelligence, Williamson said. It took 146 hours on average to catch each bird they tracked, she said.

The backpack idea came from a semi-joke about tracking devices being small enough to put on hummingbirds, Williamson said. From there, the project began to develop.

The MSB played a large part in the research, according to Gyllenhaal.

“Older specimens (from the MSB) helped us understand how the two species differ in morphology and how they are distributed across the Andes,” Gyllenhall said. “New specimens allowed us the incredibly rich data to understand how these species adapt to high altitudes, in addition to the high quality genetic material.”

The physiology of the hummingbirds alongside their physical abilities and appearance make them interesting to researchers, Williamson said. She plans to go back to Peru and use more tracking devices to further research Peruvian birds’ movements and observe interactions between highly similar species, she said.

“UNM has a particularly strong track record with hummingbird research, and that’s almost entirely because of the work done by (researcher) Christopher Witt and his lab,” Williamson said.

Witt serves as the director of the MSB and the curator for the Division of Birds.

The MSB is well-used, but could be better with more funding and personnel, Gyllenhaal said.

“All of these museum specimens and tissue samples can be used by researchers for centuries, including for projects using methods we haven't even dreamed of yet,” Gyllenhaal said.

Marcela Johnson is a beat reporter for the Daily Lobo. She can be contacted at news@dailylobo.com or on Twitter @DailyLobo

Marcela Johnson

Marcela Johnson is a freelance reporter for the Daily Lobo, and the editor-in-chief of Limina: UNM Nonfiction Review.