prateek-katyal-FNMztJegsSA-unsplash.jpg

Boxing gloves in a boxing ring. Photo courtesy of Unsplash.

Three Team USA boxers punch their tickets to the Olympics

The USA boxing team set to compete in the 2024 Paris Olympics is a talented and skilled group that includes established fighters Omari Jones, Jennifer Lozano and Jahmal Harvey.

Omari Jones

Jones is from Orlando, Florida, and is a speedy technician in the ring. He’ll throw a flurry of combinations – catching his opponents often while also displaying quick defensive skills.

Jones originally found boxing inspiration in Muhammad Ali, he said.

“Muhammad Ali is who I first started watching. I feel like that's how my boxing style developed, just watching him: how he talked and how he moved,” Jones said.

Just like his inspiration, Jones is going to the Olympics and competing for a gold medal.

“It means everything,” Jones said. “I put in the work, I had my mind set on this since I was a young kid and I feel like looking back on it, I did what I set out to do.”

Jones’ hometown community has had a significant impact on him, he said.

“I’m not only representing myself and my country, it’s also Orlando, Florida, and the kids at my gym training with me showing that they can do it too,” Jones said.

Jennifer Lozano

Lozano is from Laredo, Texas, becoming the first ever Olympian to come out of Laredo. Lozano is a hard-hitting fighter with great footwork who cuts off the ring and puts pressure on her opponent. Her fighting style goes right in hand with her nickname, “La Traviesa,” which means “the troublemaker.”

Lozano’s inspiration for boxing stemmed from bullying she experienced at a young age and the desire to defend herself, she said.

“Growing up I was overweight, my first language is Spanish as well — English is my second — so I had a thick accent growing up and kids would make fun of me. I got to a point where I just wanted to defend myself,” Lozano said.

Lozano described the opportunity to compete in the Olympics as a “shock.”

“Who would've ever thought (I would go) from fighting in the streets and getting bullied to now representing my city, the entire country and every kid who ever got told no and pushed around? Anything is truly possible,” Lozano said.

Jahmal Harvey

Harvey is from Oxon Hill, Maryland. One word to describe how Harvey fights is “electric.” One moment he’s fighting at range; the next, he’s up close and personal fighting on the inside, landing hit after hit on his opponents with precise power, technique and footwork.

Harvey originally played football until his coach inspired him to start boxing, he said.

“(My coach) opened up a boxing gym and told me to come up there and I realized I was good at boxing. I then transitioned from football to full-time boxing,” Harvey said.

Harvey has a lot of experience in the ring, and when it's his time to fight he said he feels more eager than nervous.

“My experience gives me a lot of confidence and motivation. Going into it knowing that I've been in there, I enjoy fighting and showing off my skills. I trained so hard and pushed my body to its limits; I’m just eager to get into the ring,” Harvey said.

Olympic boxing will begin in Paris, France on July 27 and will end on August 10. After getting to know some of the boxers on Team USA, watching them compete and try to take home the gold will be even more exciting.

Rodney Prunty is a freelance sports reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be contacted at sports@dailylobo.com or on twitter @Rprunty05