zoo garden.jpg

People gathered at the Albuquerque BioPark to listen to "Felix Y Los Gatos," Thursday, June 7 2023.

BioPark Garden guests get groovy

The 32 acres of the Albuquerque BioPark Botanical Gardens displays plants from the American Southwest and around the world. Beyond plants, they also host events.

This event was the starting point of a series of Garden Music events that will continue on throughout the summer, located at the BioPark, Zoo and Botanical Gardens on various dates. Later this summer, the BioPark will also have the Garden Sound of Music hosted by the Albuquerque Department of Arts and Culture.

Allyson Zahm, the Guest Experience Manager for the Albuquerque BioPark, said her plans for the upcoming events are focused on connecting with nature. “People can do that in a lot of different ways. An event is one of those ways,” Zahm said.

“For some people, bringing their family together, having a picnic on the lawn, being surrounded by the trees, flowers, mosquitos and butterflies, is a great experience for them that they might not have otherwise,” Zahm said. 

On Friday, June 8, Biopark guests were welcomed to a mixe of culture and music. The event was centered around a local band called “Felix y Los Gatos.” They mixe jazz, New Orleans swing and New Mexican polka, according to their website. 

At the front of the lawn was the stage where the band performed, with Felix “Gato” Peralta on electric guitar, David Barclay on the push-button accordion, as well as a bassist and a drummer. Amongst the many folding chairs and blankets were spaces people had made available for dancing. 

The group's inspiration has changed throughout 20 years of playing together, Peralta said. “I think it's the live audience and just continuing our art of music.”

“It was way more people than we expected, but we had the perfect amount of caffeine and it was awesome. It was a great show,” Barclay said.   

BillyJack Davidson is a freelance reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached at news@dailylobo.com.

BillyJack Davidson

BillyJack Davidson is a beat reporter at the Daily Lobo. He can be reached on Twitter @BillyJackDL