Softball: Lobos lose to Montana 4-2 at the UCR Classic

For the University of New Mexico softball team (2-11), Saturday’s game started off differently. With a lead. However, it wasn’t meant to be for the Lobos on the second day of the UC Riverside Classic, as the Lobos fell to Montana (2-10), as the Grizzlies used a three run sixth inning to take a lead they would hold until the final out.

A Chelsea Johnson double gave New Mexico its first two runs and the early 2-0 lead. Cameryn O’Grady started the Lobos off with a leadoff walk and Sydney Townes followed her with another. A D’Andra DeFlora sacrifice bunt allowed the runners to advance into scoring position, and Johnson followed with the double to give the Lobos the lead.

Jensen Main got the start on the mound for the Lobos and had a strong outing, going three innings while allowing one run on four hits, three walks and a strikeout. Montana was able to get on the board in the third inning, when Delene Colburn lead off with a solo shot to right-center field. That wasn’t the end of the Grizzlies threat, as they followed it up with a single from Maddy Stensby, followed by Main walking Dani Walker to give Montana two base runners with only one out. However, they were unable to capitalize as Main struck out the next two hitters looking to escape the inning.

Krissy Fortner came in to pitch for the Lobos in relief of Main, and things were scoreless for both sides until the bottom of the sixth, when Montana struck again. With two outs and two Montana runners on base, Fortner intentionally walked Colburn to load the bases and set up a force out at every base. It appeared that she would get out of the jam, but a fielding error allowed two unearned runs to score and gave Montana a 3-2 lead before the Grizzlies added a fourth run on a single to center.

The Lobos attempted a comeback in the seventh, as O’Grady walked and advanced to second on a wild pitch. However, no one was able to bring her home, as the next two batters struck out and flew out, ending the game and giving the Grizzlies a 4-2 win.

Cameron Goeldner is a sports beat reporter and photographer for the Daily Lobo. He primarily covers men’s soccer and softball, but also contributes content for baseball, basketball, football and track and field. He can be reached at sports@dailylobo.com or on Twitter 
@goeldfinger.