UNM's ​blue recycling bins to get a facelift

As part of an ongoing initiative to become more environmentally friendly, UNM is improving the visibility and overall appearance of its blue recycling bins around main campus, according to a University press release.

The bins are getting a fresh coat of the trademark blue shade of paint that is associated with the general recycling enterprise, along with the “new UNM Recycling bright green footprint logo,” the release stated.

Mary Clark, sustainability manager at UNM, said that the improvement in the bins’ look could make the difference 
between whether a student recycles something or throws it in the trash.

“A person’s decision to recycle is usually made in a few seconds, and the hope is that these updated bins will encourage people to reduce their waste, reuse and recycle,” she said. “This is how, as a campus, we can demonstrate how to Love Red and Live Green.”

According to UNM’s Office of Sustainability webpage, students and everyone else on campus can discard paper, aluminum cans and plastic bottles in the bins. The recycling division of the Office of Sustainability also recycles old cardboard, media discs, metal and wood.

UNM also recently announced the move to install ten VendingMiser machines around campus. These are essentially vending machines that save energy when not in use.