Column: Ridesharing services need better regulations

Future of beneficial service hangs in the balance

If you are unfamiliar with them, they are ridesharing services that connect passengers to drivers via a smartphone app. It’s a convenient and safe way to get a ride, and it is a proven job creator. But currently, there are no regulations for ridesharing companies, and therefore their future in New Mexico is uncertain.

That needs to change.

Recently, Democratic Sen. Phil Griego and I introduced legislation that will streamline regulations to allow companies like Uber and Lyft to operate effectively.

For all demographics, ridesharing makes perfect sense. If you want to get around downtown Albuquerque, you can use a smart phone and get where you need to go quickly and safely. The services are affordable and, more importantly, they are safe.

In the past year, Uber and Lyft have provided safe and affordable rides to people in two major New Mexico cities — Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

As you know, drunken driving is a big problem in our state. Providing safe and reliable transportation can change that.

According to a study conducted by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) and Uber, ridesharing has been found to help reduce drunken driving. It is estimated that ridesharing in California has helped prevent 1,800 crashes among groups at the highest risk for drunken driving.

It’s not hard to see why. Provide a safe and convenient transportation option, and people will take it. Expanding the program in New Mexico is a commonsense public safety measure.

Not only does ridesharing keep our people safer – they also provide jobs to hardworking people. A recent study proved that getting a job with Uber resulted in a significant increase to a person’s salary and financial security.

In order to diversify our economy and make our state competitive again, we need to attract innovative companies. Uber and Lyft are growing at a rapid rate as cities around the country are allowing them to operate. We can’t pass up such an opportunity.

It’s time for New Mexico to put laws on the books that will give these companies stability and allow them to work even better on behalf of the consumer. This legislation would ensure that there are safety standards and regulations in place for these companies.

For example, this bill will require Uber and Lyft to provide insurance for their workers and make their employees go through strict background checks. It will also make sure that these companies operate efficiently and remain accountable to their employees and customers.

These companies deserve the opportunity to provide their service. Our state is always looking for ways to be innovative, attract better jobs and promote safe transportation — ridesharing companies are a way to do that.

At the end of the day, people want the safe options and the jobs that these companies provide. I will work as hard as I can to pass this legislation