The Lobo Letter

GPSA wants your input on how to allocate student fees for next year

Dear colleagues:

As we enter our seventh week of the fall semester, the Graduate and Professional Student Association would like to update you on all the exciting changes and happenings which are upon us.

It is common knowledge that both Johnson Center and the Student Health and Counseling building are antiquated. There has been ongoing talk of a new wellness center for the University’s students and GPSA has been collaborating closely with the planning committee to ensure that students’ best interests are at the forefront of the planning process. It is important to us that the new facility serves students and reflects their needs. One option being explored is to combine the Student Health and Counseling building and Johnson Center facilities in a new wellness center that would provide a valuable location for students to work out, take classes, play and seek health care.

In order to ensure that your voice is accounted for in the planning of this new student resource, please share your ideas with us on what kind of facility you would most benefit from.

GPSA also continues to work with the Tuition and Fee Policy Committee to address the late increases in this year’s tuition and the rationale behind differential rates for the School of Public Administration, School of Architecture and Planning, Anderson School of Management and others. We will be working with the bursar’s office to develop a more effective tool with which to explain to students how your tuition and fees are allocated across the University.

As part of this effort we have also been working with ASUNM to launch a new website (sfrb.unm.edu) for the Student Fee Review Board. This all-student board makes recommendations once a year on the allocation of over $12 million in student activity fees. Because this is your money, we want your input on how this funding should be distributed to programs across campus. We have added a feedback page on the new website; please share your comments.

These efforts are part of our broader outreach efforts to increase awareness, transparency and student participation across campus.

As part of this overall effort, we have also launched a new, updated website (gpsa.unm.edu), designed a spiffy new brochure and are currently holding a logo redesign contest to create a distinctive image for GPSA. Also, make sure to like us on Facebook (facebook.com/unmgpsa) so that you can read our weekly student spotlights, and follow us on Twitter (@UNMGPSA) for breaking council news.

We hope that you will stop by our office, located in the bottom level of the SUB, in room 1021. We are here to serve you so please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have. Your input is not only important, but vital to ensuring the success of UNM and our community at large.

As always, please feel free to stop by our office to use our computer lab, print coursework, grab a cup of tea or coffee, or just chat.

All the best,

Priscila Poliana
GPSA President

Danila Zidovsky
Transparency & Outreach Chair

Matthew Rush
GPSA Chief of Staff

James Foty
GPSA Executive Assistant

Maria Elena Corral
GPSA Council Chair