The Lobo Letter

ASUNM to host summit on fixing Lottery Scholarship

Hey Lobos!

Hello from the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico. We hope your year has started off well and you have gotten into the college routine. This will be the first of several monthly letters from your undergraduate student government.

Through them, we hope to keep students informed about our goals and initiatives throughout the year.

One of our biggest objectives is to team up with colleges and universities from around the state to ensure that students graduating from New Mexico high schools continue receiving complete tuition coverage by the Lottery Scholarship. We will be hosting a summit for student leaders, legislators and administrators from all over the state to gather and provide thoughts and ideas to ensure the scholarship’s continuation. You are welcome to join us on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. in the SUB Ballroom to provide your input on this very helpful aid for students.

ASUNM will also be working collaboratively with various campus entities on two other issues. The first is the student-run Green Fund that will allow students to have the opportunity to reduce the carbon footprint of our campus. This fund will be used to support different programs such as switching more buildings to solar power and expanding recycling access on campus. Our sincere gratitude to the Daily Lobo for their coverage of the Green Fund in recent articles.

We are also excited to continue our conversation about providing students with a wellness center on campus. The planning efforts for this project have already begun and we will provide updates as they come along. There are many possibilities for student input and we will need your support to make this a reality.

For those of you interested in getting involved and in representing students, ASUNM is in search of qualified individuals to serve on University boards and committees. If you would like more information please email our chief of staff at asunmcos@unm.edu or stop by our office on the bottom floor of the SUB in room 1016.

Also, congratulations to all of our student athletes and athletic teams on their strong start this year. Let’s make sure to get out and support your classmates! All students enrolled in six credit hours with a valid UNM ID are eligible to receive tickets for UNM Athletics events.

ASUNM is here to support all UNM students and will do what we can to support your success in the classroom and beyond. If we can be of service to you in any way, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Have a great week! Go Lobos!

Isaac Romero
President, ASUNM
asunmprz@unm.edu
(505) 277-5528