Kvetchers, come compose us columns

aswanny@unm.edu

Traditionally, politics is one of those topics you don’t bring up in polite conversation, and anybody who has initiated such discussion knows exactly why. Sparks fly, especially in our partisan land divided between left and right. Both sides have their characteristic viewpoints, and members of each party tend to stick to these expectations to win the favor of the voters who subscribe to that party. The system leaves about half the country, if not more, dissatisfied depending on the strength of the candidate who represents “their party.”

Is it any wonder one side wars against the other? Like angry neighbors, we glare at those on the other side of the fence, wishing they would realize how ridiculous their beliefs are, so we could all finally be on the same page. The problem is that everybody thinks they’re right, and nobody is willing to compromise. It’s a flawed system — and to think our founders believed it would be swell, one that served the public and the greater good. Bah!

Those days are over, and with our swift takeover of much of the continent, the population has grown just as quickly as the national divide. Just take a look at the DailyLobo.com comment boards to see the phenomenon on a local level. We are “the leftist rag” accused of being in cahoots with the Albuquerque Center for Peace and Justice, conveniently located a block away. Then again, the leftists reading our rag think the people posting such comments are a bunch of Tea Party loons, and the “evidence” just keeps piling up, especially with presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s never-ending blooper reel circulating in the major media outlets daily.

So this election season, the Daily Lobo thought it would be informative and entertaining to have columnists from both parties debate the issues. Each Monday, we’ll feature a new pair of columnists who spout off on topics such as the economy, education and women’s issues. We’re looking for writers who are knowledgeable and can go into some depth to provide insight in a way that the general public can understand, i.e., no technical talk, and if you’re going to get theoretical, don’t be complicated about it.

Anyone interested has until Saturday at midnight to submit a sample column no more than 700 words long. Email your entry to opinion@dailylobo.com and include your name, indicate whether you’re a student, staff or faculty member, and your political affiliation. The column may or may not be published, and we will notify you either way. This is a one-time gig, and because the hiring process is so long and we can’t pay people retroactively, it is an unpaid one as well. It makes for an excellent scrapbook addition, and you can use it as a published writing sample if you’re interested in writing professionally. Plus, you get the satisfaction of “proving” your point to the other side — without being interrupted as you would be in conversation. Then, revel in the comment threads that are sure to follow.

And don’t forget about the Decision 2012 Electoral Map Contest!
For more information, see “Get creative with Electoral College map,” published in last Monday’s Daily Lobo. See one of this week’s entries at ow.ly/dVvjO.