Wooley’s Weekly Wisdom

Undergraduate core classes wasted my time

Dear Wooley,

I am a grad student, and I currently find myself in a specialized field of study. As I sit here studying for my new courses I can’t help but think the core classes were a waste of time.

I reason it would have been more beneficial for me to have taken more science courses and be better prepared for the rigors of my new program, but instead I had to waste time with core classes. I can understand a university wanting you to be well-rounded, but I feel that is what high school was for, and once a person reaches college, it’s his responsibility to become well-rounded on his own time.

Please, Wooley, shed some light, different or congruent, on this topic and perhaps inspire a university to actually start helping its students achieve greatness rather than smashing them full of mediocrity.

-Shaken to the core

Dear Shaken,

I don’t really feel like I’m the one to explain why what courses have what classes and the reason those classes are there, mainly because I don’t know. I know that there are people at the university who decide these things, and for the most part I’ve taken classes that give me a whole new perspective on issues, different cultures and other ways of thinking. That goes in with that “well-rounded” education you reference, I suppose.

Your reasoning for an emphasis on better high school preparation is valid. However, you have to take into account a number of inconsistencies in funding and quality of education from state to state and district to district. We have students studying at UNM from all across the country.

How can a university guarantee every student can form a persuasive argument to defend their ideas, be knowledgeable about world events or have a civil conversation? The university gives students choices, and a lot of them, in various areas of focus, on top of the specific area of study.

The beauty of UNM’s registry is that we as students can sign up for whichever classes we want. Across majors, there are specific classes that departments say “if you want a degree in this, you need these courses,” but we can still take whatever it is we want other than those required.

That freedom is a blessing and a responsibility. Perhaps you knew you were going into grad school, or maybe you decided at the last minute. Regardless, at some point in your undergraduate career you decided you were going to take Religion 107. You also decided you were not going to take upper-level science courses. Those decisions aren’t good or bad, right or wrong, but are simply your decisions.

Our decisions shape our experiences and what we “get out of college.” I believe you’ll get out of college what you put into it. If you want good grades, study your tail off. If you want friends, you go be a friend to someone. If you want to know about science because you’re going into grad school, take science courses. Make your classes align with your goals or desired direction in life.

Too focused or don’t know quite yet what you want to do? At least ask yourself when signing up for classes how each might benefit you, both next semester and beyond school. What specifically are you wanting to get out of the class? What are your expectations and what experiences might you have? Still unsure? Go visit the professor teaching the class or shoot them an email with questions. Your experiences, ultimately, will be a culmination of the choices you make.

Procrastination buries students in rushed work

Dear Wooley,

I have a crapload of papers to write in the next two weeks … mainly because I procrastinated. What are common mistakes students make in writing papers? What is the No. 1 thing students can do to improve their papers? I want to get a good grade and finish the semester strong.

-Worried Writer

Dear Worried,

It’s time to buckle down. You’ll need to really manage your time wisely in the next few days and get things done.

Common mistakes are often silly grammatical errors such as a lack or misuse of punctuation, or spelling errors. Other common issues are half-developed thoughts, rough transitions from one topic to the next and forgetting to include basic tenants of a paper, such as a thesis or citing sources.

What’s my “No. 1” suggestion to fix these mistakes? Most problems can be fixed if the author simply reads his or her paper aloud.

Does the essay “sound right?” Is it understandable? Does it make sense? You’ll find the majority of the mistakes in your writing if you simply do this step. Secondly, give it to a friend. Ask them to read it out loud and check for basic things such as a thesis, topic and transitional sentences.

If you can avoid writing the paper the night before it’s due (though everyone does it), you’ll give yourself more time to revise. You also allow yourself to work through a writing process (researching, brainstorming, organizing, etc.), rather than just putting out the paper like a manufactured product.

In the end, is what you’re writing your best work? Do you take pride in the piece you’re turning in? If not, and you’re cool with that, sweet — be content. If so, then continually try to make yourself better. Go to CAPS’ drop-in lab and see if its tutors can make some suggestions, or go to your classmates or your professor.

All of these people are just as helpful and more than willing to lend a hand.

Good luck with all those papers!

If you have questions and need answers, please send an email to Wooleysweeklywisdom@gmail.com He’ll be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns you might have. Be sure to check out his Facebook page, ask-ryan-wooley.