Rome should come to ABQ after Mike’s call to action

Albuquerque is burning for a Jim Rome visit.
Please Rome, do it for the “clones” — and more specifically, Mike from Albuquerque.

One of Rome’s “clones” (a nickname the radio host gives his listeners and callers), Mike sticks out in listeners’ minds, including mine. He is such a die-hard Rome fan that he tattooed a cartoon version of Rome on his left leg. For some time, I have heard about the legend of Mike from Albuquerque, but I never heard him call into “The Jungle,” the nickname of Rome’s live show. All that changed Jan. 28.

That day, Rome went to a commercial break before the end of the show just to give Mike enough time to talk. That’s how much respect Rome has for Mike, who is a longtime caller.
Listening to Mike chime in on the upcoming UNM-BYU matchup, among other topics, was refreshing.

During his call, Mike told Rome it was a perfect time for some “Jungle Karma” in Albuquerque.

“Jungle Karma” is when a sports figure, athlete or coach appears on Rome’s radio or TV show and that athlete or coach’s team wins the next game.

Apparently, Mike has it worked out with Rome to where he is also affected by “Jungle Karma.”

“That new titan on the block, Jimmer Fredette,” Mike said on the show. “He’s getting ready to go up against the UNM Lobos. We’re going to need all the help that we can get. This guy is scoring 50 points a game by himself.”

Well, 27.4 points per game so far this season for Fredette. But even though he scored 32 Saturday, the Lobos came out victorious.
Jungle Karma.

But Mike wasn’t done there.
He went on to talk about how he is disgusted that a Cleveland-based radio station took the first hour of the show off of its weekday schedule. Mike then told Rome he wants to take action so the same doesn’t happen in Albuquerque and other cities.

To end his call, Mike told Rome that he had run into people around town who listened to the show. Mike and those other listeners (the clones) decided that Rome needs to make another Albuquerque visit.

“You know what we’re doing out here in Albuquerque with The Sports Animal. We’re going to mobilize all of the clones out here,” Mike said. “We want you out here for a station party.”
And since Rome had his professional coming-out party on Albuquerque airwaves, he is forever indebted to the city.

The 15-year-old syndicated radio show is now on 200 radio stations all over the country, but in 1996, the show started out small with only four affiliates. One of those original four affiliates: Albuquerque.

Over the years, Rome has expressed that he owes Albuquerque and 610 AM The Sports Animal for airing the show Monday-Friday since its inception. Yet Albuquerque hasn’t made the cut on Rome’s periodical tour stops, which he no longer does. The last time he came here was when I was still in high school.

Despite Rome’s absence from the 505, the “clones” would do anything for him. But bet your arse, we want Rome here. What will it take, Romie?

You can bet I’ll do my part. Where can I sign up for the 2011 Albuquerque Clone Mobilization?