Hey, holiday hogs: Graze greener

Did you make a resolution to eat healthier this year? I did. I usually do, after the season of stuffing that just passed. I sure love roast turkey and pie a la mega-mode, but oof! Talk about too much of a good thing! I feel like I need a month just to digest. If you too want to mend your wicked food ways, here are some general tips to guide you.

The healthiest diet is plant based. That means heavy on the fruits and vegetables. Eating plants has been shown to result in less cancer, less heart disease and more years of living. Release your inner bovine. Graze. Munch. Eat fresh vegetables, raw or cooked, and fresh fruit as much as possible. Try to include all colors of the spectrum. That way you’ll get a good variety. Aim for seven to nine servings a day and you’ll be on track for maximum health.

Next up: whole grains, pasta and legumes. Whole means not processed. Grains are made from the seeds of various grasses.

Each seed is composed of the bran, which is the outer shell and contains most of the fiber, the germ, which is the fertile and nutrient-dense center that forms a new grass sprout, and the kernel, which is the biggest but least nutritious part. Whole grains have all their parts. Processed grains have had the bran and the germ removed, leaving only the kernel. Examples of whole grains are brown rice, wild rice, buckwheat groats, barley, quinoa and steel-cut oats. This stuff is great for the digestion, helps prevent heart disease, and keeps you oh-so regular.

Pasta is best in moderation, made from whole wheat, and cooked “al dente”, which is loose Italian for firm, not mushy. Pasta cooked al dente has a lower glycemic index. This means the carbs in it break down slowly and won’t make your blood sugar spike up as far and fast as, say, cookies, which have a high glycemic index. Too many sugar spikes are like the boy who cried wolf: eventually your body might stop listening and lose its ability to handle sugar well. Result? Diabetes and obesity just for starters. Low glycemic is the way to go. Toss your firm pasta with some steamed vegetables, drizzle on olive oil, and top with high-quality natural grated cheese. Buon appetito!

Legumes are a class of vegetables that includes beans, peas and lentils. These are some of the most versatile and nutritious foods around. They are typically low in fat, contain no cholesterol, and are high in folate, potassium, iron and magnesium. They also contain beneficial fats and soluble and insoluble fiber. A good source of protein, legumes can be a healthy substitute for meat, which is higher in fat and cholesterol. Beans are your friend. Believe it.

After legumes on the list are healthy fats like nuts and olive oil, as well as fish. Fish contains the famous omega-3 fatty acids, superhero fighters of many health problems from cancer to arthritis. If you can’t stomach fish twice a week, take a fish oil supplement instead.

Last and least is animal protein. That means go easy on the burgers, bud. They’re just not good for you. Too much fat, too many antibiotics and hormones, not enough nutrition. Same goes for most dairy products, which are best taken as low-fat, organic milks and cheeses.

Filling in the cracks are vitamins and supplements, and topping off the whole thing is my personal favorite, dark chocolate.

Mind, the chocolate is at the tip-top of the pyramid, recommended at only about one ounce a day, but I consider myself lucky it’s on there at all. As for the vitamins and supplements, I recommend you start with a daily multivitamin and consult your health provider for more advice.

Water is not technically a food, but it is a crucial part of your diet, especially here in the high desert. Carry a water bottle with you, and drink from it all day long.

For a more detailed look at a good healthy food pyramid, see www.drweil.com.

And remember, small, slow changes stick best in the long run. Good luck!

Dr. Peggy Spencer has been a UNM Student Health physician for 17 years and a Daily Lobo contributing columnist for three years. E-mail your questions to her at Pspencer@unm.edu. All questions will be considered, and all questioners will remain anonymous. This column has general health information only and cannot replace a visit to a health provider.