Presents are nice; presence is priceless

My catchphrase for the holiday season is “mindful merriment.”
By this I mean the true joy that comes from paying attention and doing what feels right. The key is mindfulness. The wise ones urge to “be mindful” and “live in the present” and “be in the moment.” This advice is as worn as the runners on Santa’s sled, but just as useful when it comes to mileage. Mindfulness is an all-purpose tool, handy in every situation. Like most valuable endeavors, it is easier said than done, but worth the effort.

Here and Now
The present moment is made up of the here and the now. The “now” is that split second between “was” and “will be.” The “here” is your physical reality, your body in relation to the world.

Nobody can live only in the present at all times, and nor should you, or you’ll flunk all of your classes. But I do recommend you visit there as often as possible.

Most of our stress comes from fretting over the past or worrying about the future.

If you can let go of this struggle even for the length of a breath, your body and mind will thank you. You can’t change the past anyway, and the future hasn’t even happened yet, so why obsess? It might not happen the way you fear, and meanwhile, look what you’ve done to your blood pressure.

A great way to get yourself to the present moment is to use your senses, starting with your own body.

Just do a quick inventory.

Are you seated or standing? What is the air temperature? What do your clothes feel like on your skin? Can you notice where your body is touching something else, like a chair or the floor?

Are you breathing? Of course you are. Where do you feel the breath? In the throat? In the chest or belly? Noticing your own breath is a great way to bring your attention right into the here and now. Pay attention to a few breaths. Feel the breath at your chosen site. In, out, repeat. This is the essence of mindfulness—simply bringing attention back to the here and now, over and over.

What this has to do with holiday feasting and stress is that your body knows what is good for you, and it never lies. You can think yourself into all kinds of unhealthy behavior, but your body will eventually give you a heads-up.

If you can be mindful, paying attention to your own sensations and thoughts, and acting on your body’s cues, you’ll be happier and healthier.

Feasting
Maybe your body yearns for some delicious food. So eat and enjoy. Or maybe you just had a feast, and when you pay attention to your bodily signals you realize you don’t really want that third piece of pie. So pass. A good strategy is to check in with your body before you put anything in your mouth. That includes alcohol. You may think you’re a brilliant comedian when you’re loaded, but does your body really relish all that dizziness and staggering, not to mention the barfing and groaning the next day? Trust your body to guide you toward health. If you really listen, you’ll find yourself enjoying all things in moderation, as the old saying goes.

Exercise
Mindfulness works for movement as well.
Sometimes your body needs to be still, to digest the feast or rest. So be still. But if you veg out for too long on the couch your body is likely to get stiff, and your mind likely to get stupid. So move. Treat yourself to a stretch, a walk, or something more strenuous.

Pay attention to that invigorated feeling you get when your blood begins to move. Next time you have been too long in slug mode, you might get up and move sooner. Conversely, if your body is begging you to rest after a stressful semester, by all means rest. There is a time and place for hibernation.

Social Stress
Hallmark would have us believe that we are supposed to be awash in love during this season, but the reality is that big gatherings can be stressful, and some people just rub us the wrong way.

When you hear Aunt Edna’s voice, what happens in your body?

Do you smile and loosen up? Or grimace and go tight? Your body can help you know what you need. Maybe a brief hug and hello to Aunt Edna is enough for now.

If you’re a people person, you might want to go to every holiday party in the neighborhood. But if you find yourself getting short-tempered or developing a headache, it might not just be the egg nog. You might need some down time, a rare and undervalued commodity in our modern rat race. Take a break.

My suggestion for the holiday season is that you pay attention to your body each moment and do your best to give it what it needs. You’ll be able to stop eating before you get painfully full, or take a break from Aunt Edna before she drives you so nuts you say something you’ll regret.

Get to know your own bodily cues, and you’ll find more peace in your life.

This holiday season, I wish you mindful merriment, and I hope you give yourself plenty of “presence.”