Shopping is power

Americans have labored under the impression that voting is the most important civic duty.

Those people never bothered to consider shopping.

Think about it. Every American can make his or her voice heard through consumption. There are no age limitations, no polling days, and no restrictions just because you’re a felon. Everyone is allowed, nay, encouraged to buy. After all, the economy needs your money, doesn’t it?

But it’s not just that. So far, the government hasn’t taken away our ability to shop. It cannot put restrictions on what we buy. Or, I guess, the government can try, but we always get what we want.

Illegal guns and drugs, anyone?
The American shopper’s power is unlimited and could easily alter the way this nation functions.

People complain that the government is big business, but big business relies on American consumers. Without us, they would be nothing, and maybe they need a little reminder about the power we wield over them.
Maybe, instead of shopping like mad men on Black Friday, we could stay home and keep our money in our pockets instead.

And we could avoid shopping at Wal-Mart, but not just Wal-Mart. Places like Target that push an image of cleanliness and better-business practices, but in fact use all the same products as Wal-Mart.

Or if we do decide to shop, we could stay local and avoid the mall all together. And at the end of the day, we could go to bed feeling clean and as though we had done something for the nation.

Shopping, like voting, should have consideration.
Just as people will, or should, spend time researching candidates deserving of their vote, so should people research products that not only satisfy their needs but also don’t make orphans run through fire hoops while knitting and assembling electronics.

But let’s be honest.

Just as people vote down party lines, they will also buy the first sparkly thing that catches their eye. I know. I have seen this happen. I’ve done it myself. I have a friend who will buy a new box of Cheez-Its if the type on the box were altered slightly. I have another who will buy anything with a design of rhinestones on it.

We are only, and in spite ourselves, human, which means we are flawed. But on top of that we are Americans, which doesn’t leave me optimistic.
The only thing we can hope to do — rather than try and rein in our impulsive habits — is to give up, arm ourselves with cash, debit cards and checks, and spend, spend, spend on this blackest of Fridays.

Let’s spend ourselves into a coma, and then be sure to go to a state–supported hospital because the government still needs our money.

And why not? Black Friday comes once a year, and if we aren’t going to do any research about shopping, if we aren’t going to commit to one of our most important civic duties, then we might as well go out with a bang.

Good luck shopping out there, folks. I’ll be clubbing an old lady for the last copy of “Toy Story 3.”