Potential recreation center needs student support

This letter is in reference to Luc Mouchet’s Nov. 23 letter about the proposed student recreation center. This issue needs clarification, as the project is not on UNM’s capital projects plan. Here’s the history:
Former ASUNM President Ashley Fate and former GPSA President Christopher Ramirez initiated the possibility of a student recreation center during their terms in 2008. They were responding to student frustration about limited access to Johnson Center.  

Because Johnson Center is a shared facility that functions as an athletic venue, classroom facility and student recreation center, constraints are placed on students’ recreational use.

In response to student interest and at Student Affairs Vice President Eliseo Torres’ direction, UNM’s Planning and Campus Development
began conceptual work on a stand-alone student recreational center. In 2009, Fate and Ramirez presented to the Board of Regents using conceptual drawings and cost estimates.

Because the facility would not serve an academic purpose, it is unlikely that New Mexico would allow it to be presented as a General Obligation Bond voted on by taxpayers. So the most likely source of funding would be a revenue bond based on income from facility users, which would be students. Student fees typically fund campus amenities.  

Peer universities, all of which have student recreation centers, were studied to understand their approaches to funding similar buildings. Each of them funded the buildings through student fees.

Students surveyed in 2008 about what amenities they would like in a student recreation center expressed interest in a climbing wall, leisure pool and fitness equipment. Planning and Campus Development estimated that it would require an approximately 129,000-square-foot building.  

A general estimate of the cost of repaying bonds and operating expenses was made and determined to be $117 per student per spring and fall semester, and $25 per student in the summer semester.  

This estimate assumed current cost modeling and did not reflect future changes in construction costs.

At this moment, the project is not a part of UNM’s capital projects plan. The Student Affairs Department is interested in building a student recreation center, but will not proceed unless there is strong student interest and support in planning for use and paying for the project.
Student Affairs and Planning and Campus Development are interested in hearing from students on whether there is interest in exploring the concept of a student recreation center.  You can express your interest or concern by contacting us at NewRecCenter.unm.edu