Energy drinks no substitute for rejuvenative power of sleep

Every college student is busy with school, work and life.

Many of us work several jobs and are full-time students. There’s barely time to breathe between classes, work and attempting to stay connected to our friends, let alone sleep. While caught up in business, I’ve seen many of my hard-working friends forget about sleep. They either crash out in class or wake up cranky.

Sleep is the most important activity for your body. It’s how we recharge and function. That cup of coffee or energy drink is not a replacement. Getting rest largely contributes to a person’s mood and performance. About 100,000 car crashes occur every year because people think they can skip sleep and get on the road. Out of those accidents, 1,500 people die because of drowsy driving, studies show. There are consequences to ignoring your sleep. It may seem hard, but it is possible to make sleep a priority in your demanding world.

There isn’t a magic number of hours you should be sleeping, although teens are encouraged to get nine hours of sleep in order to develop a healthy body.  

A study by researchers Shawn Youngstedt and Daniel Kripke showed one million adults who slept seven hours were less moral and were more likely to commit a crime or be disrespectful. The study also demonstrated that people who slept exactly eight hours were generally healthier than adults who received less than eight hours. Adults are recommended to get seven to nine hours of sleep, according to the National Sleep Foundation.

Make it a goal to get at least seven hours of sleep if you are over 18.

It is difficult for many of us to get those recommended hours of sleep at bedtime. However, napping is a healthy and suggested solution to this problem. Eighty-five percent of mammals take naps, too. It should be an important part of your schedule if you can’t get the recommended amount of sleep at night. A short nap should be at least 20 minutes.

Studies found that people who took naps between 10-15 minutes felt groggy and disoriented when they woke up. NASA did a study with astronauts and pilots and found that 40-minute naps improved their performance 34 percent and alertness by 100 percent. A little snooze is a fantastic way to recharge and get through your hectic day.

Television, video games and other electronic distractions also do not allow you to relax. A survey through the National Sleep Foundation found that people who watch TV are at a 90 percent increased risk for insomnia.

There isn’t a quick fix for good sleep. Sleep aids should not be used regularly. It is very important you speak to your doctor before using these types of medication. Eight of 10 doctors believe people abuse sleep aids. Many sleep aids have side effects.  Also, no one wants to become addicted to anything, and sleep aids are often physically addicting. Speak to a professional physician about a healthy way to conquer insomnia permanently.

Between all the things on you’re to-do list, put sleep on the top. As the Dalai Lama says, “Sleep is the best meditation.”