Driving is not always the way to go

In the first part of this series on UNM transportation, I discussed how UNM Parking and Transportation Services needs to step up to reduce the carbon footprint created by UNM’s transportation system – especially from single-occupancy vehicles (SOVs).
One of the best ways to reduce that carbon footprint is for people to rethink where they live.
I know this is outside today’s paradigm, but managing your travel options makes sense in a world of human-created climate instability and decreasing natural resources. Where you decide to live is the first step in managing those travel options.

Live near where you need to be
If UNM is where you work, study and/or play, then consider living near UNM.
I applaud the UNM administration for working to increase its share of on-campus undergraduate student housing. Clearly, this is needed to alleviate the UNM area’s transportation woes. It’s too bad that in addition to creating housing for incoming freshmen, UNM is also creating parking for each incoming freshman. This works against reducing UNM’s environmental impact and continues to reinforce the supremacy of SOVs.
For those who don’t want to live in on-campus student housing: There are many nearby off-campus options that will reduce your driving costs, your commute times (more on this below) and maybe even the need to own a car. Combining nearby housing with alternative transportation greatly increases your options while decreasing UNM’s (and your) carbon footprint. Just walk around any of the neighborhoods surrounding UNM to find your favorite flavor of housing. The options range from shared living to small individual bungalows to efficiencies – all within walking distance of UNM.

Transit-oriented living
If you don’t want to live in any of the 12 neighborhoods surrounding UNM, transit-oriented living (TOL) might be an option for you. TOL simply means living near a transit corridor or node where transit is convenient for many of your trips.
If UNM is your main destination, this pretty much means living near Central Avenue, with Downtown probably being the most attractive option, where you will have nearby access to both Rapid Ride (express) and Route 66 buses. You’d be surprised to learn that a bus ride along Central that drops you off on campus takes about the same amount of time (with less hassles) as driving, parking and then being shuttled.
Bringing human-powered transportation into the mix can expand the flexibility of TOL. Bicycles, in-line skates and skateboards are a fun way to travel and a good way to stay fit. They also make transit work better because you can ride or skate to the nearest bus stop, carry your vehicle into or onto the bus and use it as your mode of transportation when you get to UNM.

Trail-oriented housing
Most of Albuquerque’s trail network is superimposed onto the Albuquerque Metropolitan Arroyo Flood Control Authority’s (AMAFCA) storm water drainage network. The North Diversion Channel (NDC), the backbone of AMAFCA’s northeastern system, originates underneath University Hospital. This means many trails connect to a system that takes you straight to UNM. It also means that if you live anywhere near any of those trails, you have an off-the-street direct route to UNM that works well for bicycles, in-line-skates and skateboards (although a little bumpy for the latter). If you live around Indian School Road and University Boulevard, you’ll be in class in less than 10 minutes. If you live a little farther, like around Montgomery Boulevard and San Mateo Boulevard, you can get to your classroom in less than 30 minutes — door to door with no traffic or automobile congestion to deal with. Try that commuting from the west side on a Monday morning.

If you want to invest less time and money into getting yourself to and from UNM, please consider either living, walking or bicycling distance from UNM, near a transportation corridor or near a trail that will take you straight to UNM.