ASUNM to fight rising costs

Undergrads, the Associated Students of the University of New Mexico (ASUNM) is your student government. You may be unaware of what ASUNM does and how it affects change in your lives. Each student contributes $20 to ASUNM. With that money, ASUNM operates student service agencies and provides funding for student organizations and programs. As an example, your fees helped fund a portion of the Welcome Back Days activities. If you have ever enjoyed the noontime concerts outside the SUB, attended Red Rally or Spring Storm, those are all provided by your student fees.

We also advocate for the best interests of students. For example, we work with the administration to increase the printing limit or raise awareness of security resources that the University provides. But most importantly, we are combating the potentially large increase of tuition and student fees.

Because of the shortfall in state revenues, the Board of Regents recently made a 3.2 percent reduction in the University budget, and there are still more budget reductions to be made for next year.

What this means for students is that there is a high probability that tuition will increase to help cover some of these
budget shortfalls.

Last year there was a tuition increase that we understand is burdensome on students. Our priority is to advocate for no tuition increases this year. I want to reassure and pledge, however, that if there is a tuition increase, ASUNM will be there to represent the best interests of the students. If you have any feedback on this or any situation, do not hesitate to send an e-mail or stop by the office on the first floor of the SUB.

Lastly, I want to encourage students to apply for the student regent position. We will select a pool of candidates whose names will be submitted to President Schmidly.

ASUNM ASUNM