Civil rights no match for U.S. politix

On Saturday morning, I was driving down the highway, in some busy section of town by R.E.I., and I saw two young men dressed in suits, standing on the highway meridian. One guy’s sign said “Tuition is expensive — anything helps.”

I wasn’t sure if it was a performance piece or if they were actually going to put drivers’ spare change into their tuition piggy banks just cause someone told them a while back, “Dudes, did you know bums make, like, $50 a day spangin’?”

Either way, it was funny to see them out there. And speaking of funny, remember that April Fool’s Daily Bobo edition? The Chronicle of Higher Education put the Daily Lobo in their no-particular-order top-10 list of funniest April Fool’s student papers in the U.S. Yeah, we’re a riot over here!

And it was so nice, in return, to read the appreciative, insightful comments on Dailylobo.com that day. It’s good to know students and staff can really let loose once in a while and have a good laugh at life. I especially like the post that read “When i went to UNM the Daily Lobo always had a special “April Fools Day” edition. The disclaimers at the top were not required. What the hell are you not learning these days?”
Ah, yes, a well-phrased question. Even when the paper isn’t serious, some people are still whining, unable to quench their insatiable thirst for problems.

If you pick up the print version, we don’t have those disclaimers and the reading flows along smoothly. But online, where people can access the stories individually, out of context of the physical layout of the paper, it could be misleading as a real article were it not for the disclaimer. I think they’re silly, too, but there’s a lot of scaremongering going on about student newspapers suffering legal ramifications for their April Fool’s editions.

Eva Dameron
Editor-in-chief