Group could be fined for serving without permit

Local advocacy group Food Not Bombs could face thousands of dollars in fines and removal by police if members don't get a food-service permit, health officials said.

The group, which hands out free food near the Bookstore, was cited Friday after ignoring a warning issued in February to cease operations or apply for a permit.

According to Food Health Specialist Jonathan Gerhardt, who issued the citation, the group must comply or face about $3,500 in fines. He said the Health Department has documented seven cases of the group handing out food since the first warning was issued.

"Each event would be up to a $500 fine for each offense," he said.

In addition to the fines, Gerhardt said the group could be removed by police if a judge deems them to be in violation of the law.

Although a citation has been issued, the group won't face penalties until a motion is filed in court.

Despite the citation, the group's local organizer, Mike Butler, said Food Not Bombs will be at its normal location outside the Bookstore today. He said the Health Department's attempts to force compliance will harm those the group is trying to assist.

"We will continue to serve no matter what happens," he said. "I feel that it's not only a criminalization of homeless people but of people who help homeless people."

Butler said the controversy is an issue of free speech and that the group should not have to obtain a permit to give away food.

"Giving away free food is protected by our First Amendment rights," he said.

Volunteer Eric Svingen said the threats of removal could be a sign that University authorities want to silence the group's message.

"We have been saying the same things for four years," he said. "Maybe they have just gotten tired of it."

University spokeswoman Karen Wentworth said that the University isn't targeting the group and hasn't had contact with the Health Department or police about them.

"They are on the sidewalk, traditionally an area where people protest," she said. "It's a city issue."

Gerhardt said that his office is acting on its own and has received no complaints about the group from University administrators.

Jennifer Ickes, a district manager at the city Environment Department, said her department is in no hurry to file a suit. She said they hope Food Not Bombs will decide to comply on its own.

"That's why we are taking our time on this," she said. "Because we want to see voluntary compliance."