Ask Dr. Peg

Student health just a walk away

Welcome back to school! New students, welcome to UNM! I'm sure the first week has been busy with moving in, getting your schedules figured out and finding your way around campus. As you did so, did you happen to notice Student Health and Counseling (SHAC)? We're located just across from the SUB and to the east. If you're standing in line at Saggio's, look out the big glass windows, and you'll see us. Our name used to be Student Health Center, but it has changed a little to emphasize the important role of our counseling department.

SHAC is a full-service, outpatient medical and mental health clinic. We are here to help you stay healthy so you can succeed in school. You can use SHAC for a number of reasons. For example:

You sprain your ankle. Limp on over to SHAC, and we'll see you in the walk-in clinic. This is the place for same-day emergencies, injuries and illnesses. We have X-ray on-site. If your injury needs physical therapy or chiropractic care, we have those too. The cost of a walk-in visit is $20.

You have been having headaches, stomach problems, a rash or other medical problem that is not urgent. Call 277-3136 for an appointment with one of our medical

providers. We are all generalists who can take care of most problems and can refer you to specialists if need be. We can also be your primary care provider for chronic medical problems like asthma or diabetes while you are in school. The cost of a medical appointment is $15.

You had a very painful breakup last night, and you're feeling despondent, even considering leaving school or doing something drastic. Come to the counseling section, called CATS (Counseling and Therapy Services) for an urgent walk-in visit the same day. The cost of a CATS appointment is free for the first two visits, then $10 each for the next 10 visits and on up.

You have been having trouble with anxiety, depression, relationship issues or school stress. Call 277-4537 for an appointment with one of our therapists in CATS. They can help you with these and other mental health issues and can refer you to our psychiatrist if necessary.

You need a prescription filled from any health care provider. Bring it to our pharmacy or call 277-6306 and speak to our pharmacy staff.

You need a general checkup, a physical exam for a job or an annual exam. Call 277-3136 for an appointment with women's health, men's health or a medical practitioner. We have a lab on site for most basic needs as well.

You plan to travel out of the country. Call 277-3136 and ask for a Travel Clinic appointment. If you need immunizations for your travel, we do those too.

You need a tetanus shot or meningitis immunization. For general health immunizations, come to the Allergy and Immunization Clinic across from our reception area.

You are just plain stressed and would like a massage. Call 277-3136 for an appointment. The cost of a one-hour massage is $40.

You need health insurance. Call 277-7943 to find out about the policy we offer. The deadline to sign up is Sept. 15.

These are just a few examples of why students have come to SHAC over the years. We hope you'll join them. Please feel free to call 277-3136 or visit Shac.unm.edu for more information.

Peggy Spencer, M.D., has been a UNM Student Health and Counseling physician for 17 years and a Daily Lobo contributing columnist for three years. She is co-author of the book 50 Ways to Leave Your 40s, released in March. E-mail your questions to her directly at Pspencer@unm.edu. All questions will be considered, and all questioners will remain anonymous. This column has general health information only and cannot replace a visit to a health provider.