Charity brightens holidays for shelter

by Apollonia Trujillo

Daily Lobo

Eleanor Sanchez said giving back to the community during the holidays can be rewarding.

"Last year this one little boy came dashing out and hugged me," said Sanchez, who works for the New Mexico Advancement Division. "He put his arms around my legs, and I almost cried."

The Spirit of Giving, sponsored by the New Mexico Advancement Division, has been taking place for four years at UNM.

The campaign is asking for donations of baby items, toys for children from infants to sixth graders, new or used books and nonperishable food.

All the donations received will go to the Albuquerque Barrett House, a short-term shelter for homeless women and children.

The Barrett House was founded more than 20 years ago and has given refuge to more than 8,000 women and children.

Judy Myslik, an employee of the Advancement Team, said they receive an abundance of items each year.

"We've done this every year, and we can hardly carry out the bins," Myslik said.

Other boxes are set up in the UNM Welcome Center, Hodgin Hall and the KNME office.

The New Mexico Advancement Division has an "ideas committee" that comes up with events like the Spirit of Giving, Sanchez said. The committee decides which organizations to donate to and places the boxes at each office.

A few years ago, when the campaign was organized, there was more than $2,500 worth of items and money collected, Sanchez said.

UNM student Abran Diaz said people should give all the time.

"I think it is important to give year-round, not just holidays," Diaz said. "That's kind of a problem."

Mostly faculty and staff donate, Sanchez said.

The committee would like the campaign to grow around campus, she said.

UNM student Elena Suffling said the Spirit of Giving is for a good cause, and she would donate to it.

"If they accepted used clothes that would be nice," she said.