Fund-raiser puts cancer on the run

by Apollonia Trujillo

Daily Lobo

UNM athletes and students participated in the sixth annual Run for Relief on Sunday to help fight cancer.

The participants were sponsored by outside contributors who donate an amount for every mile completed or donate a flat amount. Runners were not allowed to run more than 20 miles, according to the donation form.

Brendon Maas, a former president of the Student Lettermen's Association, organized the event six years ago. Maas had participated in the run in Santa Fe and thought it was a good event to bring to UNM.

Kim Feldman, associate director of alumni relations, said the run is a fund-raiser, not a competition.

"It's not timed, not a race and not a competition," she said. "A lot of people walk."

Many of the students who participate have had cancer hit close to home.

UNM student Aimee Dunavant said she has participated in the event for five years.

"It is a really good cause," she said. "A few family members passed away from cancer, and I had a coach with cancer who suffered for a year."

Dunavant said she ran two miles last year and set her goal at four miles this year. She had between eight and ten sponsors to back her up. She also helped watch the first aid station.

Feldman said she did not know how much money was raised through the run. She said the money raised should be similar to previous years, which was $3,000 to $6,000. The money will go to pediatric oncology at UNM Hospital.

Kathrin Spendier, president of the Student Lettermen's Association, said the UNM athletic teams that participated included the ski team, men's golf, swimming and softball. She said not all teams were able to participate because of conflicting schedules. UNM athletic trainers were also present at two first aid sites, which offered them training and learning opportunity.

Feldman said 100 percent of the proceeds will go toward benefiting children with cancer.