Union wages approved

Regents vote to enter into project labor agreement

In a split decision that brought a standing ovation from some and sighs of disgust from others, UNM's Board of Regents voted Monday to unionize the construction of the University Hospital's west wing.

The regents voted 4-2 in favor of implementing the proposed project labor agreement that will for the first time demand union-style wage guarantees and benefits for a construction project at UNM.

Regent Mel Eaves, who was appointed by the board to head a committee researching the pros and cons of UNM agreeing to enter into such a deal, said he found evidence to support both sides of the issue.

"Project labor agreements are used extensively throughout the country," Eaves said, adding that the University has been looking for a way to gain control of its construction projects better, noting the SUB construction debacle, which ran more than three years and thousands of dollars over budget. "On the one hand, they provide labor stability and ensure worker harmony. On the other hand, project costs might be higher through (PLAs), and there is the potential to damage small construction companies."

Eaves sought assistance from a Washington, D.C. attorney who specializes in PLA's regarding their relevance in this situation.

Karl Ulin, who attended Monday's meeting, said it is important to realize any agreements entered into on this project will not require the Board of Regents to change its official policies.

"Because of the size and scope of this project, I think a PLA should be considered," Ulin said, adding that the proposed agreement has a provision dealing with conflict resolution and forbids workers from walking out or picketing.

The $223 million construction of the west wing, slated to begin this summer, will add 70 additional beds, bigger patient rooms, a larger emergency room and high tech equipment to the aging UNM Hospital.

The project, expected to take three years, is being funded through state cigarette tax money and UNM bonds.

However, Albuquerque's small construction companies were at Monday's regents meeting in force to voice their opposition to the proposed labor agreement.

"These kinds of agreements are just wrong," said Michael Rich, owner of Michael Rich Contracting. "It's not fair. UNM is taking money from 100 percent of its citizens to finance this project and only letting certain companies work on it."

Rich said he is afraid many local contractors will opt not to work under the proposed labor agreement because of its strict regulations, eventually forcing the University to seek workers from out of state to work on the project.

He said his company was looking forward to working on building the hospital's west wing, but will have no part of it now that the regents have unionized the process.

Yvonne Chicoine, president of New Mexico's Associated Builders and Contractors, said her organization is opposed to the unionization of any construction projects and will consider taking legal action against the board if it approves the proposed labor agreement.

"There is no evidence that quality construction work is linked to unionization," she said.

The details of the PLA the board approved Monday will have to again be agreed to before any contracts are signed for the project, Eaves said.

Bidding for the project begins in June.