UNM assistant professor receives governor’s award

Staff Report

A research assistant professor in the Biology, Earth and Planetary Sciences Department at UNM has been selected as one of 20 women to receive the 2003 Governor’s Award for Outstanding New Mexico Women.

Deborah Ulinski Potter, who works full time for the federal government and holds faculty appointments at UNM, is someone that women aspiring to achieve greatness in their lives can look up to, according to Adelaide Collins, president of New Mexico Network for Women in Science and Engineering, who nominated Potter for the award.

“She is an exemplary role model for professional women and aspiring young girls,” said Collins. “Her numerous contributions over the last two decades include leadership and inspiration to us all.”

Starting in 1986 during former Governor Bruce King’s second tenure, the prestigious award honors 20 women, selected from statewide nominations, for their exceptional contributions and achievements. Appointed by the Governor, judges award women for their extra efforts to improve the status of women in our state. The nominations are rated on community leadership, effectiveness of advocacy for positive change for women and families and leadership in their careers.

“My nomination for this award was made by New Mexico Network for Women in Science and Engineering,” said Potter. “I am proud to be a member of this organization, and of their work to encourage young women to be academically prepared for careers in math, science and engineering. Network members serve as mentors to encourage females to pursue professional careers in these fields, and celebrate the success of students and one another.”

The recipients of the award, presented by the New Mexico Commission on the Status of Women, will be honored at an awards ceremony on Saturday, May 3, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Albuquerque. As a result of the award, Potter will also be nominated for induction into the New Mexico Women’s Hall of Fame where two of the 20 eligible awardees will be selected for the hall.

“My parents had a limited grade school education,” said Potter. “When I was in grade school, teachers assigned mentors to help me with science fair projects. I had some great experiences with both science teachers and mentors, and as a result I want to help encourage other young women to be successful.”

She is one of few women certified as Senior ecologist with the prestigious Ecological Society of America, and previously received the Forest Service’s highest honor, the Chief’s Award in 2001, for her role in wilderness protection.