Softball team struggles against Utah

UNM, 3, Utah, 7

The UNM softball team looked to improve its conference record with a win in game one of Sunday's doubleheader with the University of Utah Utes at the UNM Softball Complex.

Going into Sunday's games, Lobos head coach Kim Newbern felt the two teams were evenly matched, giving UNM a small edge with regards to speed and power.

"I'd say we're pretty equal numbers wise, we're pretty similar," Newbern said. "I'd say we have a little more speed and a little more power."

As Utah pitcher Jen Pursell and Lobo hurler Amy Dumas established a defensive tone early, it became clear that offensive production would be at a premium for both teams and runs would not come easily at the hands of either pitcher.

Unfortunately for UNM, offensive production was a struggle and the Lobos failed to post a run in the first three innings of play. Fortunately for the UNM, however, Utah's bats had difficulties as well and the Utes failed to drive in a run after three also.

With the game going into he fourth, each team stood scoreless. It was the Utes who found a way to score first and took full advantage of the opportunity by posting three runs in the top of the fourth.

For UNM the struggles continued offensively and the fourth inning failed to yield a run like the previous three. In the fifth, the Lobos found some production as right fielder Jamar Bynum scored on freshman Ashley Vanboxmeer's single to cut the score to 3-1.

Utah responded by driving in another four runs in the top of the sixth to extend its lead to six, 7-1. In total the Utes scored seven runs on 11 hits in the game.

UNM was not to be counted out and drove in two runs in what looked to be a miraculous come-from-behind seventh inning. Two runs was all the late inning rally produced and UNM's three runs on seven hits was not enough to get the victory. The Utes defeated the Lobos 7-3.

Sunday's losses did not change the focus for Newbern or her young team.

"We will just continue to work on our game," she said. "We will continue to get better and we're going to take a lot from this game especially when we go to play them at their place. We're going to be more ready."

UNM, 7, Utah, 10

For the Lobos, game two of Sunday's double header marked an improvement offensively as UNM tallied a season-high, 14 hits in a losing effort. UNM got off to a good start but once again the Utes put up some big numbers and the Lobos could not get the long balls they were looking for.

"We hit well the second game we just weren't getting the bombs," Newbern said. Unfortunately for UNM, Sunday's doubleheader resulted in two losses, as they dropped game two, 10-7.

The Lobos welcome Western New Mexico to Lobo field at 3 p.m. on Tuesday.