LETTER: ASUNM election to rock campus

As the spring season comes into full bloom all across the University of New Mexico campus, colorful campaign messages written with chalk and typed onto fliers also begin making their yearly appearance.

Time is quickly approaching for the ASUNM Spring Election, which will be held on April 16. Presidential, vice presidential and senatorial candidates have all been moving fast to get their names out and grab your vote as they seek a seat on the undergraduate student government.

This semester, the ASUNM Elections Commission has been hard at work to organize the huge one-day event that will have voting locations stretching to every corner of the campus. Voting locations will be set up at Zimmerman Library, Dane Smith Hall, Johnson Center, SRC Commons, Centennial Library, Mitchell Hall, Anderson School of Management, College of Nursing and South Campus.

The entire Elections Commission would like to call out for every undergraduate student at the University to make their vote count on the day of the election. Profiles for each candidate running for every position will be run in the pages of the Daily Lobo, so we encourage you to read up and be informed of the candidates you support on Election Day. ASUNM Student Special Service events will also help coordinate Rock the Vote by sponsoring a live music event at the Duck Pond on Election Day from noon to 1 p.m.

This election will also have a first, in the form an opinion poll for students to express what they think over a proposed dead week, or prep week, on campus. A prep week would entail that no new assignments could be given the week before finals and designate it a time to study for finals.

So be sure to be informed on all the candidates and your own opinion on the prep week issue and stop by one of our many election booths on April 16. A valid UNM undergraduate student ID is all you need to cast your vote on Election Day.

Every vote counts. Good luck to all the candidates running and here's to a fair, clean election.

Carlos Romero

ASUNM Election Commissioner